1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

another couple designs...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by BassMan257, Mar 25, 2006.

1. yeah... just tell me if these get annoying... but im bored, and these have been sketched for a while, and i just want to know what you guys think...

[​IMG]

feel free to bash them away... lol

2. I love the top one!!!!

Is there a scratch plate on it? If so I'd lose it, but each to his own.

I'm not too fussed on the bottom one, but i don't like pointy guitars (probably because I'm so thin and boney!!)

I can imagin them both balancing well tho.

And theres good access to the upper frets (I find that my own instruments don't have a big enough cut-out area)

I do like that top design tho. :D

3. barthanatos

barthanatos Insert witty comment here

Feb 8, 2006
    South Carolina
    +1

The bottom one made me think of a Wish. That upper horn part (whatever you call that when it's a single-cut... bout? I don't know) is just so... so not what I like. It's like it's trying too hard to be... something.

Put the bottom headstock on the top one?

4. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    LOL I liked the bottom one. It reminds a little of Wolfhollow's Marchlewski. It looks like it's moving just sitting there. The waist offset may be a bit much though. I don't care for either of your headstock designs. sorry. I'd say keep working that top one. I see something great in it but it's not there yet for me.

5. yeah... Out of the two, im kinda balanced on the liking...

the headstocks are a bit plain, but ive got some others in the works...

I have no clue which i would build first.... prolly the top one... but not with an eff hole... oh wow... i could pull an ampeg on it and route it all the way through... that would be sweet... but i should prolly just go with something easy first...

yes, they both have scratchplates/picguards... I would prolly put a necthrough on the bottom one...

not thinking of any crazy tops or anyhting... just something nice and dark... with nice looking grain....

thanks for the help!

6. barthanatos

Feb 8, 2006
    South Carolina
    No, no... I think you should totally keep the f-hole. Then, where those two knobs are, on the upper "horn" part (sorry, still don't know what to call it)... you could totally make those two knobs the eyes of a skull and crossbones. I can almost see the outline of the skull now, actually. I'm thinking a high-gloss red with black accents, and a silver/grayish skull. Yeah. Chrome pickup, black tuners and black bridge. That'd be sick. Arrgh. If my stupid computer wasn't all hosed (I'm running a Knoppix variant off a ramdisk right now), I'd load up the GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) right now just to see what it would look like.

7. lol... actually, the two knobs were for an internal distortion pedal idea i had...

the reason why i dont want to do the f hole is cause its prolly not going to turn out great... being my first bass and all... you know the drill

8. teacherguy

teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    Bottom one but a wee less pointy!

Jon

9. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    I hope that bottom one was drawn with a six string neck because if it's not I think the body is going to be very small

10. yeah... its actually a whacked out 5... but, ive got a new 4 string blueprint.....

ill post that later...

the pointyness will be fixed by the router.. its not really going to look that pointy in the end...

11. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    None is good.
    Both have potential - a lttle bit of tweaking on the angles, finding the proper roundings, removing all traces of 'pickguards', a lot of minimizing on the headstocks...
    Keep it up.

12. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    think the bottom one might have trouble balancing sitting down, the lower curve is quite far back.

top one's quite nice, i say work on the headstock. and keep the F hole, just dont make it look so... angular.

13. I like the top one, but that F-hole scares me. I have one with a hole in a similar location, and I keep jamming my thumb on it. If you can keep it farther away from the strings (maybe more following the top contour), it's great!

14. sweet... thanks for the info..

neither of them are going to be played sitting down... I just dont do that... so its not an issue....

for somone else, thats understandable... i want to make a smoother verson of the second one anyways...

ill get back to you guys when ive got some time....

15. ALLRIGHT! IVE GOT A GOOD ONE!

[​IMG]

Im planning on making a "Bassman's first bass" post, but i figured id post it here...

the question is... would it be better if the picguard didnt go all the way up the top horn? if so, where should i put the toggles?

Im not sure what the knobs will actually be like, that was just a fill in so you know where theyll be....

its supposed to fit a fender replacement neck (since ive got one) and im planning on making it out of mahogany (since my dad finally told me he has alot of extra mahogany thats big enough at his buisness... "oh, you wanted mahogany? ive got loads of that out at work... why didnt you tell me?" gotta love dads... lol...)

anywho.. comments? Questions? death threats?

just leave them here....

16. I like that body shape... personally I'm not much of a fan of pickguards though. So if you were to have one, I'd say use the one that DOESN'T go all the way up to the top horn... then... well you could put the input jack on the side of the body and the switches in there somewhere where the output jack would've been?

17. barthanatos

Feb 8, 2006
    South Carolina
    Fender Jaguar comes to mind.

18. hmm... I mean... allright... were going to have differences...

I guess what i was (and am) going for is like a 60's japanese body shape and look... you know... like a vintage kay or something... alot of the time they would have wierd extended pickguards.....

if you get around to it... you should check some of those out on ebay... just look... there wacky...

47_1.
    91_12.
    4d_1_b.

and my oh my
    82_1.

19. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I like the top design as well. and the design you recently posted.

i LOVE the idea for an F-Hole. But not so..."sharp" Then it's like a Z-Hole.

-Mark

20. I should totally make a bass with an "A" hole...

right on the back too.. man that would be a laugh... i can see it now...

but i get what your saying with the Z hole thing... man... i shoudl really post the updates on the top designs... but seeing as there not in the immediate future, i dont really want to spend the time... lol..

bad news... dad didnt come home with the mahogany today :(
    oh well... i should get it tommorow....