1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Another Craigslist "What the...?!?!"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Muddslide, Apr 9, 2015.

1. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    vintage fender p bass

Sheesh...what is even going on here? I could see that at some stage this MAY have been a Fender that someone carved up...an attempt at scrolls on the cutaways?

What is up with the headstock? It's like it has a tumor.

And the skunk stripe--it doesn't seem to be as long as it should be.

What an odd, ugly creation.

bungletrpg likes this.
  2. scourgeofgod

scourgeofgod

Aug 17, 2006
    Silly for sure, but not as bad as I expected based on your description. Stripe looks fine to me but I'm no expert on the subject, if I had to guess I wouldn't have thought they were even that long.

3. MattyH

MattyH

Jul 20, 2010
    Long Island
    Stripe looks fine. But it's not all original chrome, if he's referring to the hardware. Because the tuners aren't Fender. Also I don't know if he just worded it wrong, but I'd assume that that paint job is after market and custom, and not as he puts it "special edition". Which would refer to Fender actually making it like that. Especially if it was painted after the body carving, and if the logo is covered. Which is absolutely the case here haha.

4. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Definitely not the worst I've seen - not too bad for an art project- if you're into this kind of style. Whatever value as a MIM Fender bass is no longer there, but as a unique custom bass, well that's up to the buyer to decide...

5. AnalogKid4003

AnalogKid4003

Jul 8, 2012
    Fender first started production in Mexico in 1990. The seller lists it as a 1986 which would make it USA or japanese but I don't see a MIJ stamp or serial on the back of the neck unless it was removed, so probably USA.
    Which makes it even more offensive!

scourgeofgod likes this.
  6. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    Or it's not a Fender at all. Isn't that option more likely?

7. AnalogKid4003

AnalogKid4003

Jul 8, 2012
    Well the seller on Craigslist says you can see fender on the headstock under the paint if you look in the right light so it must be a fender ;);):thumbsup::roflmao::roflmao:

8. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I completely disagree.

That's a goiter.

jamro217 and Bugeyed Earl like this.
  9. jamro217

jamro217 Supporting Member

Well, obviously somebody liked the style of a Ric, but wanted a P bass. Whether or not the skunk stripe is long enough (not) doesn't matter because you don't get a skunk stripe with a rosewood board. Maybe the body is authentic and hacked, but the neck is bogus.

10. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    If they were aiming for "the style of a Ric", they missed. Badly. :thumbsdown:

11. jamro217

The body sort of looks like a drug induced "artist's rendering" of a 4003. No?

12. Goatrope

Goatrope Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    Pickups are painted with the same automotive under coat as the body. Talk about lazy. At least it will never rust.

13. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Perhaps, but it could also be a mega-fail attempt at good looking scrolls. When the fail is bad enough you can't even tell what the intended target was, you have truly massive epic fail. :thumbsup:

14. jamro217

Like Hollywood or Congress.

15. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

I wonder if the pots, jack and truss rod nut are painted over too? Bonus points if the strap buttons are painted as well.