1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Another damn Trussrod question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by RoosterRusek, May 12, 2010.

1. RoosterRusek

RoosterRusek

Dec 13, 2002
    Atlanta, Ga
    I have a 6 string custom bass...it's got a beautifil zebrawood body, and a neck through the body 9 piece neck complete with an ebony fingerboard.

So I've been suspect about the 2 trussrods in my neck...they adjust from the headstock. Well when I went to do some adjustments I found that one was all loose and kind of wigggly, and the other I cannot turn at all.

So yeah I am bringing it in to a person whom I am told is great with guitars and basses....but my question is can I really expect this to be fixed? Are we talking a possible fretboard removal?

And is there anyone who has had DIRECT experience with any luthiers here in Atlanta Ga?

Thanks

Paulie

2. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Depends on the bass. Sometimes truss rods can be repaired or replaced without disturbing the fretboard and sometimes they can't.

3. Hi.

Quite a few of the dual truss rods sort of "rely" on both of the rods to be on a similar (not necessarily the same) tension. Otherwise the taughter one may freeze. If this is the case, tightening the loose one may help.

Dual truss rods are a bit tricky if someone inexperienced has done the adjusting and/or the neck is too stiff to fully take advantage of the dual rods.

Taking the bass to a skilled person for a set-up is always the best way to ensure that the problem won't get worse, it's still perfectly possible that the truss rods won't need replacing.

Regards
    Sam