another de-fretting thread

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Chris J, Dec 13, 2001.

1. I'm thinking of de-fretting one of my basses. The reason I didn't search for older threads is because I already know how to de-fret my bass. My dilema is that I have a pretty crappy 4 string(the subject of defretting) and my main 5er. The 4 has a SD Quarter Pounder P pup and a badass 2 bridge. It also has the stock J pup. I don't know how the SD and the bridge will affect the fretless tone. Any advice? I guess what I'm thinking is that the pup and the bridge are supposed to make the bass punchier and have more attack. Both things I don't associate with a fretless. What do you guys think?
  2. If you still have the originals, defret the bass and see what it sounds like with the SD and the BadAss in it. Then see what it sounds like with the stock parts, and decide for yourself :) Who knows, you might find that you like the fretless punch combo.. I dunno :D
  3. Fair enough. So what would I do with the extra parts? But am I right when I say that a really punchy bass usually isn't punchy when it's turned to fretless. I guess I'm just thinking that the extra punch mods and the fretless mod will cancel eachother out or something like that.