1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Another "defretting my bass" thread.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by J. Crawford, Apr 19, 2009.

1. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Guys, I am more than happy with my Geddy. Its everything I have ever wanted in bass. It fits all of my fretted needs.

Now I want a fretless, but dont have the cash to buy one. My dad said he would help me, and I plan on defretting my Peavey Grind. I love this bass to death. It has the neck I dream of having on every bass. I really think it would sound amazing fretless..

I just want experience, tips, clues, and even "no-no"s for this project. I have read through the tutorial by nateo. I just want this to go right. I am joining jazz band next year, and a freltess is something I would like to have.

Thanks!

2. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
  3. J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Thank LCW! Thats a great thread.

4. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Use wood or binding for the lines, if you want them, or matching wood of you don't, do not use putty, not as strong, and IMO looks terrible.

5. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
  6. J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    I as just about to PM you, as always. ;)

the Peavey has pearloid markers, so Im going to go with the white plastic like.

7. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Oh that'll be perfect!:cool:

8. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    i wouldnt mess with the geddy. get a cheap pawn shop bass or something. you may regret it...

9. J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    No, no Rc. Thats not it. Im defretting my Peavey because my Geddy is the perfect fretted bass.

10. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    Pull slowly and gently. Pay attention to the wood around the fret as you're pulling it out. You can even pull/push them out the side of some fingerboards, if you heat the fret first to soften the glue that holds them in place.

And start with the highest frets first. Make your mistakes there, not on the lower ones, where it tends to count more significantly.

Overall, just be careful and cognizant of everything you're doing, and it'll probably go just fine.

11. J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Thanks guys. I will def. start high, because Im not one to play often above the 12th fret.

Thank again. Keep em coming, Im reading anything I can, along with every reply.