Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

another dimarzio question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by thetaurus, Feb 3, 2003.

1. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    i know i've been beating this to death, but i keep coming up with more questions. so i've pretty much decided to get dimarzio's instead of duncans. now...the model j's or ultra jazz? i've already read the bass player shootout a million times. i'm looking for all your opinions. i think i've decided that i want my jazz to have alittle more output, and sound more like a precision, or a hot-rod precision i guess. i'm worried that the ultra jazz may have too much high end (or too mid scooped), and that the model j might be too boomy on the low end. let me know what you all think about this issue. i play rock, mostly with a pick, and want something that's clear and well balanced. let me know...thanks.

2. The PICKUPS tab of my spread sheet has the numerical indexes of Bass - Mids - Treble for many of the pickups, including DiMarzio and Duncan.

The numbers are their published numbers, but in my spread sheet so they can be sorted and compared.
    I also have the results of the BP Magazine pickup shootouts in the spread sheet, so you can read the comments and compare.

3. I can't speak to the Ultra Jazz (never heard them), but I'm sold on the model J. I run my amp pretty much flat with a little boost at around 300hz. There's plenty of punch with finger style, but with a pick they rule! They've got enough high end to stick out in the mix, but not brittle.

I had a set on my '76 Jazz which I bought new, have had a set of model P's on my S.D.Curlee for the last 25 years, and I bought a set for my 2001 American. Maybe I'm in a rut - but I've had many a sound tech comment on how they like my sound in the mix.