Another Dingwall convert?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by mmon77, Feb 24, 2021.

1. mmon77

mmon77 Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Southern MN
    I've been a long time fan of Gojira and Jean-Michel Labadie is an under-rated bass player in my opinion. His ability to lay it down and be heard in a modern-metal down-tuned band has made him a stand out imho. I've seen them live on several occasions and it never ceases to to amaze me how he can hang in that mix with a P or a J. They play in D standard for the most part, so not too low, but low enough, and in that genre, bass that you can hear and isn't the Dingwall/Darkglass standard sound seems to be rare.

When "Another World" was released, I thought he sounded a little more up-front and aggressive than normal, in a good way. Then "Born for One Thing" came out, and again I thought he sounded better. I watch the video, and low and behold:

super-p.jpg Looks like a Super-P to me!

It's not that Dingwall/Darkglass sound that is so prolific these days, and I think it sounds great. It's like his normal sound, but a little more up-front and ballsy. Really makes me want to try out a Super-P.

FWIW, I love Periphery/Nolly, and I think that particular sound shaped and influenced the genre, but it is great to hear something else as well.

2. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Can you cite some examples of this "Dingwall/Darkglass sound" so that I can get a reference point? Thanks.

3. deff

deff Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2018
    Gloucester, MA

Here are some.

Bob_Ross likes this.
  4. deff

deff Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2018
    Gloucester, MA
    I do like Gojira. That song is pretty great. The bass seems to crazily enough occupy the bass end of things sonically.

5. CheckBass

CheckBass

May 22, 2020
    Amsterdam
    I found this cover on youtube.
    J Bass and Darkglass B7k plugin

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021