Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another Distortion Question (sorry)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jack, Nov 17, 2003.

1. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Before we start, yes I have 'done a search' ;)

I need a distortion pedal for bass, I play everything from Metallica to Less Than Jake and I have found myself needing some distortion to sound right. I dont want a lot, just a minimal amount, like a growl, but growlier.

Please bear in mind that I live in the UK and am on a limited budget.

I think Ive narrowed it down to three:

Boss ODB-3
    Ibanez PD-7
    EHX Big Muff (probs with the lows?)

Any ideas?

2. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    I'm about to run the dual outputs of my tuner pedal into my Big Muff and clean signal into an ABY box to mix the meat of the Muff with the clean low end. I'll post back on Wednesday after practice and tell how it sounds with the mix.

3. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Fantastic idea, Be trying that with guitarist distortion next rehearsal! :bassist:

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The Big Muff can easilly be tweaked for more bass in the output. Simply replace the 1uF output capacitor with a 2.2uF or a 4.7uF cap.

5. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    A/Bing your OD and the clean signal i think is the way to go. or if you're not on a limited budget and have LOADS of disposable income...

run two rigs in parrallel same signal, just one distorted and one clean. :)

6. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    The BOSS ODB3 has the ability to mix wet and dry built in. It's my choice.

7. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    A Sansamp is probably your best bet for growl if you can stretch to that. IME the Big Muff is a great fuzz pedal but not good at subtlety. The Boss is rather fizzy and harsh sounding (though Flea uses it well).

Alex

8. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    It's about choosing the right tool for the job. Like Alex, I'm another fan of the SABDDI... I find it really enhances the articulation and warmth of my sound but it's not a full on fuzz or out and out distortion box.

Wulf

9. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Ive tried the ODB-3 and dont like it that much, it was my last choice. Ive heard people have had bad experiences with it.

How much are the sansamps, and are they available to the UK? Im going off to do research now.

10. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Sansamp is out of the question. :bawl:

11. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I just had the pleasure of buying a BJF Blueberry Bass Overdrive from another TBer. I'm very impressed with the range of sounds that I get from it. I'm not big on harsh distortion, but I find that with this pedal I can dial-in just a little warmth into my sound. It also offers a totally destructive distortion if you are into that.

I also previously owned an ODB-3 and was not at all impressed with the Boss pedal. The BJF pedal is much better sounding.

The BJF pedal is hand made in Sweden. Their distributor is Custom Sounds

12. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    BJF = £209

I do believe you quite missed what I posted, twice. :rolleyes: