1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Another dreaded SX thread

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by etechstan, Apr 21, 2009.

1. I'm getting one of the $89 Jazzes next week and use it for modding, paint it red, fretless... I have a Washburn P style pickup i want to put in it but don't know what to do about the pick guard. Any ideas floating around out there?

2. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Modify a Fender Reggie Hamilton guard.

3. I'm putting a P pup in it

4. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Yeah, that's why I picked the R.H. as it's a Jazz pickguard, with a split coil P p/u opening.

A little work with a file, and you're all set.

[​IMG]

5. By-Tor1000RR

By-Tor1000RR

Jul 17, 2008
    Stamford, CT
  6. I want to do it just for the modding factor. I already have the P pup and want to paint the bass and head red, and mess around but it's good to know I don't have to make my own pick guard, I can't even draw a straight line let alone cut something neatly

7. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
  8. Dropping the $89 soon then the $39 for the fretless neck:hyper:

9. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    The Aerodyne non-export models also have a p pickup in a jazz guard. They might not work as well since I think those have a carved arch profile though. I'd go the warmoth route as it's cheap and won't take too much to make it fit.

10. Thanks Savit, just checked out the link and that'll work perfectly!!!

11. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    You'll still probalby have to do some filing around the neck pocket and contol plate, like you would with any other Fender style guard.