Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another Dremel thread...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by budman, Feb 13, 2005.

1. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    Yesterday I had to make a router template for a Musicman style pickup. The pickup had sharp corners so I need something small to make the cut. I finally got around to using my Dremel tool as a router. There was a thread about this a while back but I couldn't find it. I bought a small 1/4" dia. straight cut bit for it and then bought a small bearing for it from routerbits.com. I made the template using a 1/2" bit then cleaned up the corners with the 1/4" Dremel bit, then did the same when I routed the cavity in the body. Worked like a charm. No heavy duty routing with the Dremel, mind you. Just a little clean up. I had to wrap a piece 1/2" masking tape around the shaft of the bit after I put the bearing on it to keep the bearing in place and so the bit would clear the router base of the Dremel. Worked great. I know there are other methods for getting those tight corners. Thought I'd pass this one along.

2. Gyoon

Gyoon

Nov 12, 2004
    Toronto, Ontario
    Just wondering: was the bearing specifically for a Dremel? Also, was it a flush cut bearing? That would be useful . . .

3. Fasoldt Basses

Fasoldt Basses

Mar 22, 2005
    Stevens Point, WI
    Karl Thompson, Builder (Formerly Fat Karl)
    Thanks bud...
    I use a 1/8" dremel bit for really tight corners. Of course the shank of the bit does the job of the bearing in this case. Question: what kind of speed did you use for that routing job? until now I've been using a single-speed dremel, but I'm breaking in my new adjust-a-speed.:smug:

4. Hey, when I moved I had to sell all my tools (about 2 years ago ...don't ask) and when my router order was put on backorder for 2 weeks I used my dremel to rout the truss rod and carbon fiber channels on an euro flamed maple neck!!!

You have to go slow and take more passes, but it's possible.

[​IMG]

5. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    It's not a "Dremel" bearing, but it works on the Dremel 1/4" bit. I used the highest speed, 35,000 RPM I think. I'm just using it to get into the corners better.

I just did a bass with P-bass pickup. I made and over-sized template to use with a bit collar and an 1/8" spiral bit, ala Carey Nordstrand. That worked pretty good too.