Another Dremel thread...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by budman, Feb 13, 2005.

1. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    Yesterday I had to make a router template for a Musicman style pickup. The pickup had sharp corners so I need something small to make the cut. I finally got around to using my Dremel tool as a router. There was a thread about this a while back but I couldn't find it. I bought a small 1/4" dia. straight cut bit for it and then bought a small bearing for it from routerbits.com. I made the template using a 1/2" bit then cleaned up the corners with the 1/4" Dremel bit, then did the same when I routed the cavity in the body. Worked like a charm. No heavy duty routing with the Dremel, mind you. Just a little clean up. I had to wrap a piece 1/2" masking tape around the shaft of the bit after I put the bearing on it to keep the bearing in place and so the bit would clear the router base of the Dremel. Worked great. I know there are other methods for getting those tight corners. Thought I'd pass this one along.

2. Gyoon

Gyoon

Nov 12, 2004
    Toronto, Ontario
    Just wondering: was the bearing specifically for a Dremel? Also, was it a flush cut bearing? That would be useful . . .

3. Fasoldt Basses

Fasoldt Basses

Mar 22, 2005
    Stevens Point, WI
    Karl Thompson, Builder (Formerly Fat Karl)
    Thanks bud...
    I use a 1/8" dremel bit for really tight corners. Of course the shank of the bit does the job of the bearing in this case. Question: what kind of speed did you use for that routing job? until now I've been using a single-speed dremel, but I'm breaking in my new adjust-a-speed.:smug:

4. Hey, when I moved I had to sell all my tools (about 2 years ago ...don't ask) and when my router order was put on backorder for 2 weeks I used my dremel to rout the truss rod and carbon fiber channels on an euro flamed maple neck!!!

You have to go slow and take more passes, but it's possible.

[​IMG]

5. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    It's not a "Dremel" bearing, but it works on the Dremel 1/4" bit. I used the highest speed, 35,000 RPM I think. I'm just using it to get into the corners better.

I just did a bass with P-bass pickup. I made and over-sized template to use with a bit collar and an 1/8" spiral bit, ala Carey Nordstrand. That worked pretty good too.