Another drummer story

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Jul 19, 2005.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Played in Philly last night and witnessed something that completely astounded me. The show was running late, they were starting to cut bands short because they were running out of time, and there were 3 bands left to play after ours. We finish our set and we're off the stage in about 5 minutes. Next band sets up. Guitarists and bass are ready to go in about 10, and the drummer, who's been there for the entire evening, slowly starts opening up his trap case....

I took a seat on the side of the stage and watched, with a huge smile on my face. Every single piece of his set had to be assembled. I was glad because my guitarist was in the audience selling CDs and getting people on our mailing list - it's a lot easier to do that when the music is low and there's no band playing.

This guy moved slower than my dead grandmother. He would gently slide the cymbal stand parts together, talk to someone, smile, put a wingnut on, turn it with his fingers for each turn (as opposed to just kinda hitting it to spin it on). The audience started getting restless and yelling stuff, and the band just supported this lunkhead by saying "Hey, if you want us to hurry, then help our drummer set up." They didn't seem to care. Nothing phased this guy and he just kept on smiling, making jokes with his band, talking with people. It was about 45 freaking minutes before they went on. If The Nerve! was playing after them I think I would kicked this guys set off the stage. Because we weren't I found the whole thing incredibly entertaining.

I would LOVE to know what the hell was going through his and his band members heads. Some things I just don't get. That's my big drummer story. I hope you liked it. :) I should be playing my bass.
  2. Last Saturday our drummer had a wedding to attend before our show, so he says he'll be there about 45 minutes before we go on. No prob.

Except he turns up 15 minutes before show time! We help him unload his car, and he is set and ready to play with about 2 minutes to spare :hyper:
  3. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I have been booked on shows where there was multiple bands playing. We have played last and have had 20 minutes to play because of douche bag idiots like that. It's about just having a little class and consideration for others. That idiot should have had his stuff out of the cases, his stands assembled and ready just to construct his kit. Again I don't know how much room was available and if he could do this but according to the story they didn't seem like they really cared about anyone but themselves. I told myself if we play with multiple bands again we play first or second or don't play at all because more then likley you will get shafted.
  4. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

i can see it now ...
    Joe = :D
  5. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    IMO it's actually better to get shafted on time, than on people in the club. Being the 1st band nearly guaranteed you're going to be playing nobody other than the people you bring - which I have learned is a waste of time if you're doing lots of gigging and want to develop your fanbase. We always do our best to get thrown right in the middle so we get to be seen by fans of of the 1st and last few bands. 2nd spot can also be a nightmare because if the first band draws nobody, or cancels - you're in the same spot as if you were the opener. "2, can be as bad as 1, it's the lonliest number since the number 1 - ohhhh." Just my thoughts on your statement. :)
  6. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I guess it depends on the other bands. I have had some nightmares gigging with other bands. They make arrangements for us to play second or third, they slip in a fourth act at the last minute. The first two bands totally milk thier time and then our fan base that has come to see us has to wait all night to see us play for 20 minutes. Again these bands are "legends in thier own mind". Most muso's I know are great, open minded, super nice people. This group of bands we had the bad encounters with where totally stuck on themselves, had ego's, and totally screwed us. It depends on the circles you play with I guess. We have played with bands and it went great, very smooth all parties had an opportunity to play enough and we all got along. Then we have had this kind of thing happen. It looks like the circuts you are in these bands are more professional.
  7. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    whats worse, is when a band that is playing before us and they take there sweet time taking their gear down.

its like, ok, i can understand how after a long set its hot and you need a minute, but you dont need 20.

i hate the drummers who breakdown their whole kit on the stage. then give you dirty looks when you are waiting for them to get done. we played a show a few months back where the drummer did this. his whole band was done, none of them helped him, and he took his time. so i grabbed the tom set, and i put them off the stage and as i went to go grab the first set of cymbals he is like "what the hell are you doing?" and then threatened me. now mind you, im 6'6" 360 ish, you dont really threaten someone who is 3 times your size. so i got in his face and i said "what did you just say, was that a threat?" and i guess he came to his sense because he said nothing, and took all his stuff off the stage pretty quickly.

or you get that band guy who needs to talk to his fans before he does anything, and when he does do something, he has to take every little section of his kit or rig apart.
  8. Fortunately most of the bands we've played with have been pretty cool. One of the last shows we did, however, the guitarist in the band before us was kind of any idiot. The rest of his band had mostly packed up, but this guy was still wanking away on his guitar, with his amp still on and plugged in, etc. Basically he hadn't packed up any of his stuff. Our guitarist had been waiting for him to get done so he could set up (we were playing in a relatively small room, so the first guy had to get his stuff out of the way). So finally, our guitarist unplugged the guy's surge protector from the wall. The guy was pissed, but at least he finally got moving.
  9. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Having been a drummer at one time, I was always pretty quick about "gear on-gear off". In multiple band situations I always assembled as much as I could prior to getting on stage, and removed the mounted gear and cymbals after finishing and then gettin' the gear off the stage. Usually less than 5 minutes after a set.

It meant I didn't get to bask in the post-set glory with the audience, but we got invited back to alot of gigs because we did what had to be done in the name of show business. That means basking in more onstage glory at other shows.
  10. Bently

Bently Guest

Jul 3, 2005
    Saltillo, Mississippi
    Our drummer doesn't even know how to put up his set.
  11. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I am soooooooooo very glad that my current drummer got an electronic set. He has a set now that has six drums,four cymbals, and one controller on a rack. I doubt that it will take long to set up and tear down.

When we first started playing together, he had a ten piece set with more than a dozen cymbals on two racks. Basically picture trying to get Neil Peart's whole set into and out of a regular club in any reasonable amount of time.

He sold the big set to buy the electronic set. Now for the funny part, he sold it to my old drummer. So if I ever decide that I miss Greg's old set, I could just go jam at Ron's house.
  12. Crikey! :D

Seems we all have nightmare drummer stories, but I'll support our drummer all the way - he's a top guy who always grooves with me and plays tastefully. Best drummer I've ever worked with - maybe not most technically dazzling, but best!
  13. ryco

Apr 24, 2005
  14. lenorules1950

Aug 20, 2004
    Meriden, CT
    'K, here's a story about our drummer.

Lately we've had some down time, partially to look for a new guitarist. We got our new guy now, so we've been trying to rehearse. Thing is, our rehearsal space is in the basement of a restaurant belonging to our drummer's parents. Every time we wanted to jam, he was like, "nah, don't feel like it-" his excuses were totally lame, and including having to eat dinner or go out golfing. So this kid calls up our singer one day and was like "dude, we have to stop sitting on our asses and start rehearsing if we wanna get gigs this summer." ***!?!? Every single one of us was totally down for playing except him. *sigh...*
  15. FriscoBassAce

Dec 29, 2004
    Frisco, Texas
    Independent Manufacturers Representative
    At our last rehearsal, our drummer called about two hours before we were supposed to start and said "I've got some other business I have to take care of yada yada yada, so I need to cut out early tonight." The problem is, we only get to practice once a week on Saturday's because our drummer works a job that's second shift, so he's not available any other time. Now, we all show up at the usual time and just start getting upset thinking about it. Drummer is nowhere in sight. He shows up an hour late, and acts like it's no big deal. We actually had a big blowout that night with him for being late, leaving early, and all the other lame stuff he does (not paying people back etc.) He doesn't even own his own drum kit, so he borrows the rhythm guitarist's set, and then complains the whole time that this is a fiberglass shell kit and he needs wooden shells.

He's either going to shape up or we're firing him. Period.
  16. willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    ah drumers,gotta love them.heres two 1 i was gigging with a very successful cover band who's regular drummer is one of the busiest in town so he sub's out he always got his own sub and because the gig's pay fairly well($200+ a guy )he usually had someone really one guy who ended up working with us alot was a young up and comer around chicago who had toured all over the states and internationaly.nice guy,great time everything you want but IT TOOK HIM LONGER TO SET UP A FIVE PIECE DRUM SET THAN ANYBODY I HAVE SEEN IN 20 YRS OF PRO GIGGING!!! it became a band joke because it took him at least 20-25 min to set up,the sound guy would be standing there with the drum mikes, everybody else would be checked it was crazy.i asked him why it took him so long and he said that it took him a few try's to get his drums were he felt they should be :rollno: 2.playing about two weeks ago in a jazz club on rush street in chicago. as i walk up to the club a bus pull's up to the front and let's out 60 people they go in the club(it only holds 150 max)i go in check my rig ,tune, warm up a little and talk to some of the people who tell me their all in town at convention and drove in a bus for 40 min to get the club and ask me when we start, i say 9pm.9pm no drummer 9:15 no drummer 9 :20 no drummer, we start playing with bass,sax keys and guitar on a high-energy jazz-funk gig with no drums. at 9:35 the drummer STROLLS thru the door walks up on stage and say's "i was standing in the back and you guy's are dragging a little"@#@#!!! drummers,gotta love um
  17. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I'm a drummer too, so I can't complain about them too much. But I remember I was at a show with a band I hung with a few years ago, and the drummer of the headlining band ("You can go on last but we can guarantee no one will be around to hear you") sets up all his gear and decides to keep it on the side of the VERY small stage area. The band I was hanging with asked if they could move it and the drummer's bodyguard or whatever he was, says "I don't think that would be a good idea. He doesn't like other people touching his gear". Needless to say it was a horrible gig for them because there was barely any room for all their gear on stage because of this one arrogant prick.
  18. Boom Belly

Boom Belly

Jul 20, 2005
    The drummer of the band I am currently in has the annoying habit of adjusting his kit during the song.

He will even stand up to get better leverage on whatever the
    hell he happens to feel needs adjusting at that moment.

Sometimes I feel like adjusting my bridge half way thru
    Immigrant Song just to show him how it looks.

p.s. He's a great drummer, I hope I don't sound too bitter.