Another Dumb Question - Fieldy (sp?)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Roark Haver, Mar 20, 2002.

1. I've seen various references to some bass player named Fieldy (sp?). Who is this person, who do they play with, and why is he/she an object of barbs now and then? Not that I object, I just like to "get" the jokes once in a while. BTW, I'm 42 going on 43, does he/she play for a band that I've probably never heard of?
  2. ;)

Music that lots of kids like to listen to..
    Most adults think of it as a waste of energy tho..
    Most bassplayers think of Fieldy as the antichrist.. the man with no respect for bass.. listen to some mp3's and you'll know what i mean..
  3. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    And after you´ve listened to him, check this out.. The man has even got a signature bass

To qoute the man from the Ibanez website:
    There is a reason why most bassplayers think he´s the antichrist, as AllodoX pointed out.
  4. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    The reason why he's called Fieldy is because he's always in the field, as opposed to being in the woodshed. :p

Another reason why Fieldy gets burnt to a crisp here on TB is because he is consistently hailed by the ignorant masses as a "bass virtuoso", or "innovative bass player", simply because he doesn't always play root notes. Nonetheless, there are many with much more ability who get no credit whatsoever.
  5. why do you think i abandoned my loyalty to ibanez ? [​IMG][​IMG]
  6. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Fieldy as the antichrist? I dunno if I'd go that far. Well, yeah, I would. It doesn't get any worse for a bass. Does anyone know if he lists any major influences or if he just decided to pick a bass up, loosen the strings about an octave below standard and just start hitting it? :rolleyes:
  7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

(From interview) - Fieldy: "I play when I have to, I don't practice ever. If were going to write a song, I'll play, but I don't sit around and play my bass ever. Not even on my most boring day! I used to practice back in the day. But, I mean, I'm not about practicing today."

Well, he does consider himself to be a drummer with a bass and he has influenced a lot of young guys.

But, er, don't drummers have to practice, too, in order to make good music???

Not exactly a great role model for aspiring bassists and the future of the instrument :rolleyes:
  8. Yes, all the time. Drums are very much a muscle memory instrument in addition to the intellectual/creative side. If I get a chance today I'll go to the web site listed above and check it out. Then I can be in on the humor too.

I don't want to be snobby, but I can't really respect players that don't take their instruments and their craft seriously. I'll try to check it out and post back later.
  9. I think I get it now.

10. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    There are rumors that there are actual bass lines on the upcoming album though...

<marquee>It's already out there somewhere... :D ...or so I heard ;)</marquee>
  11. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    If those rumors are true, does that mean Fieldy has left the band? Or is one of the guitar players playing bass in the studio?
  12. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Dude - Hope you sense I was being facetious about drummers and practice. I have ultimate respect for anyone who can play an instrument proficiently that I have no ability to play, (hence, the "er" in my comment). I've rarely known a good drummer who doesn't pick up some sticks daily.

Plus, good drummers are a rare breed IME. The Wall Street Journal did an article last summer about the dearth of good drummers.

Besides being bonded by the beat as we drummers and bassists are, we often have to tolerate the massive egos of guitarists and vocalists so we can make some good music.
  13. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    Fieldy is the bass player from KoRn.He doesn't practice,yet he has his own signature bass.Very ironic.He usually detuntes to A,cuts all the mids and slams his bass,and makes a clickyity-clackty noise.Quite sad.
  14. Hey Rickbass,

I remember that article. I know a studio drummer in NYC who said that if you can read and play most styles well, you can make a good living out east as a drummer. It seems that bass is not the only instrument where the ability to read and write parts is going by the wayside. Talkbass seems to have a pretty heavy leaning to the read and write side, which I like.
  15. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Don't give too much on that interview.
    I read an interview in a German guitar and bass mag, where he corrected that one.
    He said that more for fun and it came back to haunt him.

BTW: Malmsteen also said he never practices. :D
  16. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    Why does that not surprise me?:D
  17. I should scan the picture I took with the infamous FiElDy at the NAMM show. The man is like 5'00'' and had poofy pigtails.:D
  18. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    Fieldy, IMO, is pretty cool. He is one of my earliest influences, I listen to an array of players and still like him. I really like his tone on the first 2 Korn cd's, and he has some cool bass lines( Balltongue, Shoots and ladders, Daddy,Good God). But, just because i like the guy, his playing AND his tone( oh no, here come the put downs) doesn't mean that I want to be like him, he has influenced my playing and listening to and playing Korns stuff when i started out kept me interested in bass... I know there are alot of people here who dis Filedy, but I bet some of them are his biggest fans. Who knows?

Korns drummer is pretty good..IMO
  19. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    I gotta agree with the antichrist of bassists. The clickyclackwhack detune gonna kill my bass thing to me doesn't sound right-just have him get a few rack mounted bass drums {marching bass drums], detune them & heavily dampen=same tone. I'll give him credit-he sounds like a bass drum/bass synth patch with the bass severly cut. oh well-just shows why we need to keep practicing :D all this IMO BTW
  20. cronus

cronus Guest

Jan 17, 2002
    Romulus, Michigan
    go to tabcralwers bass forum and you'll see this alot

HoW DoeS FIELd GeT DaT CliCKInG SoUNd WHen He PlaYs
    like hes someone special

i hate fieldy :mad: