Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another Ebay Scam Alert

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RunngDog, Apr 16, 2005.

1. RunngDog

RunngDog

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I just reported this to Ebay, so these listings may be gone soon. But just in case, I thought I'd post a warning here.

Looking over the new listings for Fender basses this morning, I noticed 9 (7315827849, 7315823679, 7315820190, 7315805018, 7315802398, 7315777416, 7315774890, 7315765196, 7315756462) that followed a very suspicious pattern. All 9 listings were posted on the same day within a few hours of one another. They were listed by 9 different sellers, all of whom were new with 0 feedback, and all of whom list their location simply as "United States." All the listings use stock Fender photos as well as stock Fender product descriptions. PayPal is not listed as a payment option, and in fact none of them specify a payment method at all. All are $0 reserve auctions, despite the fact that nearly all of these basses sell for over $1000, and at least one (a Jaco relic) for over $3000.

Here's the Jaco listing as an example:

Jaco Relic on Ebay

There are already quite a few bids out on these, and I'm afraid a fair amount of money could be lost by unwary buyers who win these auctions.

2. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    Good find, hopefully ebay catches him shortly

3. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Well the Jaco link is invalid, so hopefully that means Ebay caught up with him.

As a general rule I don't buy large items from anyone with 0 feedback, and I NEVER buy an item if they only have a stock picture anyway.

4. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    yea that sounds very suspicious :eyebrow:

5. Nice thing you've done!
    Congrats for that good spirit!
    People! :rolleyes:
    Some seems to still don't know how to win legal money!!!

Vince

6. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    The Custom Classic Jazz is dead.

Another thing about the Roscoe is that the picture isn't even of the color he is supposively selling :)

7. RunngDog

RunngDog

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    They seem to have gotten the Jaco (which already had 14 bids), but most of the rest remain up. Here are links to a couple:

'57 P Reissue

Roscoe Beck V

Hopefully they'll nail all of these before the day is up.

8. RunngDog

RunngDog

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
  9. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Why don't we get all of our 34,763 TB members (as of 4/16/05) to email this Bozo via the Ebay "contact member" feature; let's tell him that he should be accepting Paypal as a payment option...

that way, he wouldn't look so much like a "rip off artist" with his "new member status", "0 transactions", and "only accept credit cards" bass auctions.

:rollno: :ninja: :rollno:
    :spit: :spit: :spit:

10. rushrocks

rushrocks

Apr 15, 2005
    Philly
    what a scum bag..too bad we couldnt do a charge back to his credit card to wipe out any money he has just for being scum...as far as i know all of his auctions are cancelled.

11. rushrocks

rushrocks

Apr 15, 2005
    Philly
    oh my god i feel bad for the bidders or anyone that takes it seriously...not even real pics on the ad..and the {0} rating tells all

12. rushrocks

rushrocks

Apr 15, 2005
    Philly
    i just got a fake ebay account alert in my mail saying if i dont confirm my membership in 48hrs my account will be suspended...be careful of bull**** like that as well

13. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    yeah, with the "please enter your VISA card number and SSN below and press enter"...

:mad: :rollno: :spit: :eyebrow: :spit: :rollno: :mad:

14. I'm always amazed at how many people fall fot that... :rolleyes:

15. Watch out. I just sold a bass on ebay, and some joker contacted the runner up with a 'second chance offer'. Fortunately, the would-be victim emailed me to see if it was legit.

The nerve of some people. :scowl:

16. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    All but the RB IV are now.

Yea I get those "Update your info" emails all the time, on an email account that isn't even registered to Ebay. You can tell their fake because if you just mouse over the link, it takes you to this really off the wall website.

17. RunngDog

RunngDog

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    A few years ago when guys on the Mandolin Cafe forum spotted a bogus eBay listing, a couple of them would get together and bid the auction up to some ridiculous figure ($1,000,000+). The seller (who of course caught on pretty quickly) would have to stay busy rejecting these crazy offers or else be faced at the end of the auction with a huge Ebay final value fee. In principle, of course, he could file a dispute with Ebay, but somehow these guys never seemed to want to do that and would just cancel the auction.

Unfortunately, Ebay wasn't terribly fond of these tactics, and I think one of the Mando Cafe guys eventually got banned from Ebay.