Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another ebay scam sadowsky

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by deftim69, Nov 22, 2003.

1. deftim69

deftim69

Jun 11, 2003
  2. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Well first find out if Bass NW has sold that bass. Then if they haven't please report it to ebay. I wouldn't hurt to email the link to BassNW either. Get 'em!!

3. deftim69

deftim69

Jun 11, 2003
    Nope they still have it. This guy is in london. brandnew ebayer. Emails have been sent to ebay.

4. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    scum bastard, people should go to jail for attempting things like this!

5. meh ... ebay is jsut an electronic auction place ... you can post toatal frap for top dollar ... if somone's willing to pay for it that fine ... as long as your not hiding the fact that your selling crap. He can do whatever he want's with his money. People should research the things theyre buying on Ebay ... the only reason i'd go looking for somethign on Ebay is because i can't find it elsewhere ... IE. Tool - Salival (boxset) ... which i will get one day.

[/|\]

6. dragonbass

dragonbass Commercial User

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.
    Owner/Builder of LoPrinzi Basses.........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder
    At first I thought maybe the seller "borrowed" the pics from Bassnw but then realized that the description is exactly the same. If this is a legit auction $1800.00 is not a bad price. Maybe someone should e-mail him for the serial number?

7. Ever consider that the person wasn't having any luck on bassnw and threw it on eBay? I see it all the time here on TB - no one is buying their item so they throw it on eBay in hopes of non-TBers look and go for it, or TBers who want to try and get a better deal that the person wouldn't negotiate too. Also, when I threw my amp on here to sell, no one was buying it so I put it on www.bassgear.com too, no luck there either, off to eBay it went EVEN WITH it still on bassgear.com and here - Sure enough, wasn't a scam! Someone bought it off eBay and down went my ads!

8. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    Seems like a scam to me.

Why would someone from bassnw have an ebay account with 0 feedback based in london?

Why is the ebay price $700 less than bassnw? Don't you think they would have lowered it at bassnw's website first?

And. How could someone in london take those pictures at bassnw? And they just HAPPEN to be on their website. Hmmm.

9. when a store takes a bass on consignment like this, you ship them the bass, they sell it and ship it to the customer, and you get the cash! you don't personally have any control over ads.

10. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    Over on the Dudepit, there is a note from Evan of BNW that the bass had been sold, and this is indeed a scam.

11. gareth

gareth

Jun 9, 2002
    UK
    i live near London

i've sent the seller an email asking that he let me view the bass before i bid

i'll let you know if he replies and if i get to see the bass

12. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    hehe G1 gareth

13. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali

14. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    uhhh...

did anyone else notice, the bidding is up to around $3.5 million?

:hyper:

15. Current bid: US $3,499,100.00 (Reserve met)

[​IMG]
    Treena

16. Well, we now know this is a scam, but in the event that it wasn't...

A) People list things on eBay for cheaper because people tend to bid up, usually there is also a reserve amount for something like this if they start it cheaper than they are willing to sell it.

B) The person could of never sold anything like this before, or if they did they had luck in selling it. So the person has no luck selling it on a website such as bassnw or TB or bassgear, so, they open an account on eBay (makes them a NEW user), and yes, there are people in London who sell stuff ;)

17. bassnw is a brick and mortar store, who happens to sell their goods online. you don't place an ad there like you do at TB or bassgear. you put a bass on consignment there, and when you do, you ship it to bassnw for them to physically keep at the storefront.

18. And who doesn't say you learn something everyday? Thanks for enlightening me on that.

19. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Another bad auction foiled. Thank you guys and keep up the good work. I makes me happy to see TB members looking out for everyone in the bass community. Let's get those bastards!!

20. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Granted, this one was a scam.

AFAIK there's no reason you couldn't place an eBay ad for a bass you have at BNW on consignment. You could then go with the channel that works fastest. If Chad and Evan don't allow this, cool. I'm not aware of that.

A logical reason for having a lower eBay price is because of the lack of a consignment fee.