1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Another ebay treasure - 16lb Solid Gaboon Ebony bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Marley's Ghost, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    You read it right. :eek:

SOLID GABOON EBONY Custom 5-String P-Bass Style Bass Guitar - 1 of 1 | eBay

"Black Maria"

This auction is for a custom, hand built left-handed bass guitar made for my private collection. I build fewer than two guitars per year for select musicians. This one (named Black Maria) was made specifically for myself and recording sessions. Every instrument I build are made with the best materials and no short cuts are taken. This instrument has not been played by anyone other than me in recording sessions. It has never traveled or been played at shows. I will not make another like this one as it was the toughest I have ever built. Gaboon ebony is extremely dense and difficult to work with. With that said, this has been an absolutely amazing instrument for me. But, it's time for me to move on to other projects. The back cover has been drilled and tapped, but comes unattached. It has been kept in a climate-controlled environment for the past year but has not been intonated in that time due to other projects. The reserve for a 1-of-1 custom piece like this is extremely reasonable. Here is information on the bass:

GUITAR SPECS

SOLID GABOON EBONY. This is not cheap wood layered with gaboon ebony. This is 100% SOLID gaboon ebony from top to bottom. 16lb
    One-piece SOLID gaboon ebony with gaboon ebony fretboard
    24 fret
    5-string bass
    Left-handed lefty LH
    Body and neck machined in P-Bass style by Warmoth
    Fully floating tremolo bridge
    Solid nickel nut
    100% blacked out hardware
    Classic fender knobs
    Bartolini active electronics - bass, mid, and treble controls, volume, and pickup selection
    Bartolini pickups
    100% copper-encased lining on electronics pocket
    Fully grounded
    quick release guitar strap latches
    lined protective hard case

TONAL QUALITY

This is absolutely the most phenomenal bass guitar I have ever played. The solid gaboon ebony body produces the sharpest frequencies of any guitar in the world. Even down to the open B every note is razor sharp. The solid nickel nut allows for unparalleled sustain. This bass will hold a note longer than you can hold your breath. 24-fret neck allows for a full range and no limits to what you can play. The electronics are crystal clear. This bass is not trebely and responds strongly to quality equipment. This is not an amateur bass.

THIS BASS WILL NOT BE REPRODUCED, SO PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO MAKE ANOTHER. THIS WAS UNBELIEVABLY DIFFICULT TO MANUFACTURE AND PERFECT. I WILL NOT BE MAKING ANY MORE OF THESE.

Although I make personal instruments for a select number of musicians, this one was a 1-of-1 project for my private collection. This item has a fixed shipping price of $50 and will not be shipped outside the continental U.S. no exceptions.

Thank you for reading.

2. cewillm

cewillm #1 Adam Clayton fan

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia, PA
    So he builds fewer than two guitars per year for select musicians... from Warmoth parts?

3. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    Lefty! It'd be cool if it were all one piece of wood.

4. JonahTheAmazing

JonahTheAmazing

Dec 19, 2010
    I believe I saw a solid Bubinga guitar (custom by I want to say Anfield?). Besides the fingerboard and a bit of ebony on the headstock. It looked pretty sweet.

I know nothing about tonewood, but this doesn't seem practical at the weight.

5. The strings look like they are pretty high off the fingerboard, especially the G string.

Rick B.

6. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Kornheiser_Why.

My shoulder hurts just thinking about it.

7. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    wow! that bass weighs a full two pounds more than two of my fenders together.
    if it were mine, i'd name it 'Black Pariah'
    or maybe 'Back Chiro' (as in chiropractor)

8. evilt70

evilt70

Feb 6, 2011
    Pekin, Il
    I could see doing it. I have a bass I made out of a big chunk of Wenge (wenge neck/body with ebony fingerboard). Heavy as heck (14.6 pounds) but really really nice tone to it.

9. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

He doesn't tell you what it weighs. I'll bet it's over 20 pounds, and punishing to wear on a strap.

10. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Actually he does...

It should come with six physical therapy sessions included.

11. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    The thought of wielding a very heavy bass is understandably daunting - most realistic players 'weigh' in against it. (as I would) But as a counterpoint, a friend made a very heavy butcher-block maple bodied/maple neck fretless w/G&L L-2000 pu's/electronics and it sounds absolutely AWESOME! I have 3 really super-great custom fretless basses and played many more, but comparatively this weighty sea-monster (it's patina is distressed translucent green-black) has a tone quality that is so unique - super deep/rich and sonorous. I would never consider using it live, but as a recording tool...

Also, as a custom builder myself, I give him credit for striving to make such an uncompromising instrument. (as in, weight is needed for ultimate tone) Not for everybody, but someone will merit from owning his realized goal. Innovation always comes w/a price.

12. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Gear Reviewer - Bass Musician Magazine Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    what a waste of some nice wood. thats like building a circular saw out of solid carbide.......

13. grendle

grendle

Mar 4, 2011
    Central FL
    +1

That's what I was thinking. Still would like to hear it though.

14. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Qu├ębec
    Wow, the un-gigable bass. Unless it's on a freakin stand.

15. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Gear Reviewer - Bass Musician Magazine Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    I cant imagine it would sound very awesome. As gorgeous as ebony is, its a pretty bright sounding wood IMO. its quick and punchy, but not a tone of booty or warmth. again IMO.

16. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Ebony would not be my choice of woods. For fretboard ebony is one of my faves. But not for bodies. To bright and way to heavy. Not good choice tone or weight wise for such use imo.

17. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Yeah, but it took four readings of the copy before I found it. He definitely didn't make it easy to find.

I don't see the point in owning an instrument like that. You might as well mount it on a playing stand and use it only in a studio setting...you couldn't really do much with it any other way.

18. tojge

tojge

Jun 11, 2010
    Belgrade, Serbia
    Heh, loved the description, which states: "This bass will hold a note longer than you can hold your breath"... It should've been: "This bass will hold a note longer than you can hold the bass itself" :)

Bonus points for using ultralight tuners, though...

19. VWbug

VWbug

Sep 11, 2010
    New Jersey
    I love dark colored natural basses like Warwicks but I can't even picture ANYBODY playing a 16lbs Bass!
    I ache just thinking about it! Arrgggg!:eek:

20. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Those pictures are horrible.