1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Another Eden WT-550 review...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mcrelly, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I'm at work and picked up my new Eden WT-550 from the store during my dinner break. I have NOT had a chance to play the amp yet. It was shipped from eden last thursday. :hyper:

So, I figure I'll give some of my amp experience background to let you know where I'm coming from with my eden review. I've been playing fro 7 years, self-taught. I've owned four combos: Fender BXR60, Ampeg B50R, WM-10 w/ext10, Ampeg b328. I've owned a SWR Bass 350 head with two SWR Monitor 12 wedges. had two RBI's, two Stewart world 1.2 power amps. I've owned EA cxl-110 and cxl-112 but sold because they were too midrangy for me. finally I've pretty much settled into some aguilar 112's with an RBI/Stewart rack. I have a third aguilar 112 at home and needed/wanted a head to go with it.

Guitars I've had: 1999 Fender/squire PBspecial (cheapo), 2001Godin sg?, G&L 1985 sb-1, now: Rickenbacker 4001 (1978).

Recently I borrowed a 1994 Eden WT-300. even though it wasn't working properly it still made a huge impression on me. What drew me to the eden sound was a combination of the commanding low-lows and the round tube-ish sound of the preamp. However when I was running the wt300 my church kids-band situation was ALMOST too much for the 300watts to handle. and once during a short session the amp shut itself down (the wt300) :scowl: Later that night I tried to get the amp to shut down by playing her hard for about 45 Min. but she didn't shut down? I later find out that the amp was shutting down on its owner too! I popped the cover off to look and found two brown spots on the circuit board beneath a couple of diodes. Possibly this was the cause of the shut down. I borrowed the amp for about a month and played several times with the band and alone. I decided NOT to buy the amp from my coworker, but instead buy a brand new WT550.

I don't always know what kinda tones I really like, but it seems to be coming around to a smooth, full, warm, tone with a bit of a "twang" on my finger strokes for cut-through. I don't slap or play with a pick. my Rickenbacker is modified and apparently has a heavier bottom on it that normal. The general tone of the rickenback is dark, but round and smooth. The sound guy hates it, but I love it.

So, tonight after work I'll plug her into my two aguilar 112's at church and try her out. I might give some initial impressions tonight. I also play with the band this thursday and this weekend. I'll give a more thorough review then.

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    UPDATE: well, I suppose this doesn't come as much of a suprise, but in a few words I find the Eden WT-550 AWESOME, POWERFULL, SMOOTH and ENJOYABLE.

Compared to my experience with the '94 WT300 the bottom was more controlled, but still VERY full. More headroom of coarse! (didn't see the limit light blink at all!). The hiss from the amp seems lower in volume than the 300, but I think I will look into this further since I was experimenting with the tweeter being turned down. I ran the ENHANCE about 10 o'clock, left the bass and low at zero. I tweeked the mids and high about 1-1:30, can't remember the exact frequencies. kept the compressor engaged, but set the gain low enough not to trigger the compressor.

I"m not very good at describing the sound in technical terms, but I found the sound and the power of the tone to be quite invigorating!! I wanted to play harder and louder to give me another momentary fixx of great tone/power satisfaction.

so far I'm VERY VERY VERY happy to have bought this unit! :hyper:

3. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    I just got the WT-405, actually it's the WT-330, but I sent it in right away, for the 405 power-up grade. I do love the sound of it also. The controls must be used very sparingly. A couple of clicks off of flat can change your sound very quickly, not like other amps. I am passing judgement on the company, at this time however. I'll explain at a later date on this one, but I would like to sell off some stuff, and get the Wt 1205 now that I've tried this little one. But we'll see. If I get my Fitzmaurice cabinets done, I might not need anymore watts, than I have now.

4. The WT550's are amazing to say the least.

Congrats on your purchase :)

5. mlove

mlove

Jun 12, 2005
    Fredericton
    welcome to the club

6. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    today I'm going to experiment with sending my olympus WS320M digital voice recorder through the stereo inputs. I use the recorder to record rehearsal and then practice with. the internal microphones take about 115 DBC of volume. not a perfect sound, but you can hear most everything. if anyone's interested I'd recommend the ws300,310,320M series the "M" is for MUSIC ;)

7. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    sorry for the delay...two things...

Aux input: it works pretty good to run my recorder through the aux input, but I have to balance the output volume of the recorder and the gain on the amp (for the guitar volume) to get a good balance. it takes a bit of getting use to hearing the recording of our practice NOT through a full range speaker (my bass cabs), but its nice when I want to show someone something from the recording instead of whipping out my headphones and passing them around.

NOW TO THE GOOD STUFF!!! :hyper: :hyper:

This will probably be just a lot of gushing :D

CHURCH GUYS LISTEN UP!

The Eden WT550 with two Aguilar GS112's is just MIND BLOWING!!! The flexibility of the EQ, the THUNDEROUS lows you can dial in or out. Headroom to spare for a fairly loud church setting (about 105dbc on stage) With some slow and grand worship songs its nice to dial in a THICK THICKTHICK BOTTOM!!:eek: our guitar player during practice said he nearly pee'd his pants LITERALLY because of the overwhelming lows that I could dial in. :D Not that super heavy lows are always useable, but its nice to know that they are there...

For me the increased power and roundness of my sound helped me enjoy playing and I believe I played better! I also suprised myself by playing the church's Ibanez GSR?200 I think with stainless steel strings. And it sounded great. I think I might get one. Who needs a rickenbacker?:bag: