Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another EQ question?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sk8terguy316, Mar 6, 2005.

1. I would like to know some stuff about EQ's I would like to know what exactly 2-Band EQ is and how versatile is it? I currently own a bass with a 3 band-EQ (SR400) and I was looking to upgrade my bass to a DWB3 but, it has A 2-BAND EQ I would like to know what exactly is an EQ what does it do and how does your band(3-BAND, 2-BAND-4-BAND) effect you tone and sound? THANK ALOT for replies :bassist:

2. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    A two band preamp is one that allows you to adjust the frequencies at the top (treble) and bottom (bass) of the spectrum, similar to the bass and treble controls on your hifi. The frequencies in the 'middle' aren't affected by the controls.

A three band is the same as above, except now you also have a control that adjusts the middle frequency range, independent of the other two. Some preamps allow this control's centre frequency to be switched or swept. This means that the area where the mid control has most effect can be moved giving you more flexibility in how you use it.

A four band is the same as the two band, but with two controls that are spaced apart a bit and handle the middle frequencies between them; an upper middle and a lower middle.

Usefulness depends on the player and what they want. Some people are happy with the old tone controls that simply cut the top end, whereas others like having it all onboard at their fingertips. On small and tight stages, sometimes it's hard to actually get back to the rack to make an adjustment. Some people also play in bands with music that covers a wide range of styles that require quick setting changes between songs, so it's easier to have it on the bass. I suppose if you have a 4 band than you'll be able to do everything, but lots of small knobs may make it harder to dial in a repeatable and useful tone in a hurry during a performance. Go to some stores and try everything you can and see how useful the controls are to you.

3. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    A lot depends on how the pre amp is voiced, for instance, what frequencie's are chosen for the high and low end? How much boost and cut does the pre amp provide? Are the mid frequencies adjustable? What are the quality of components? How much do they interact? (in other words when you boost the bass or treble are you altering the other bands too?). That being said Several high end pres ( Agular-Sadowsky) are offered in two band and our excellent! My experience has been in lower end basses (750US and under) be real leary of active electronics because almost every thing out there is pretty low quality. Your almost better bying a passive bass with good pickups and installing a good pre. But don't let the fact that it's two band in and of itself keep you from buying the bass. A good pre can cost 3-500US installed! So if a bass is selling for 750 with active pre, you figure it out, dosen't leave a lot of bread to pay the quality control guy does it?