Another Essex Question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by RolandMHall, Jan 22, 2004.

1. Question. May not be in the right place. Has anyone ever installed a set of Bartolini jazz pickups into the Essex jazz bass. I talked to Kurt (rondomusic) and he told me that the specs for the pickup cavities for the Essex were 3 5/8" x 3/4". I checked the Bartolini site and they appear to be the same.

If so, tell me any lessons learned, frustrations with install, overall results. Any info you can provide will be appreciated.
  2. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Bartolinis, no. But I have installed a set of Dimarzio Model J's (DP123) into an Essex Jazz.

No re-routing necessary; the pups fit right in (do keep in mind, the bridge pup is slightly wider than the neck pup on both the Essex stock and the Dimarzios). The wiring is standard, straightforward, exactly what you'd expect. The only thing that was at all unusual was that the pickguard didn't fit exactly on the Dimarzio's; had to do a few minutes of filing of the pickguard (where it fits around the "shoulders" of the neck pup, where the four hold-down screws fit into it).

Outside of that, it was a total piece of cake. If the Barts you're eyeing are similar in dimension to the Dimarzio J's, you should have no problems. (the dimensions of the Dimarzios I installed can be found at

Good luck!