Another example of bass players being dissed

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by vegaas, Feb 26, 2004.

1. vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    So I was watching "Just Shoot Me" last night. In this episode, there is lead singer from a punk band that Nina remembers having unbelievable intimate relations with. It is one of her most cherished memories.
    As it turns the singer doesnt remember her. As it turns out, it wasnt the singer, it was the bass player. Well Nina is now apalled that she was with just a bass player. :spit:

Oh well, we know the importance of what we do.
  2. MMSterling

MMSterling Guest

Feb 19, 2004
    Leicester, England
    So do most other musicians, don't let the minority get to you!

Andy ;)
  3. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Actually she was disappointed that she didn't get nailed by the famous guy in the band as she thought she did.

And let's face it bass players are seldom the "star" of the band. Not always...but that is generally the case.
  4. LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    Him being the bass player does explain why their intimate relations were so unbelievably incredible though. :D
  5. And without bass there ain't booty to the song so ha !
  6. +1....Right On!
  7. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    I couldn't have said it better myself!
  8. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    "A band is only as good as its Bassist"

9. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Don't forget he also played tambourine. That's what pushed her over the edge.
  10. Bassplayers do it in rhythym!

I think I saw that on a t-shirt once.

Wouldn't take it as an insult. Nina's character is supposed to be shallow and stupid.
  11. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

"Just Shoot...the sitcom".
  12. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Why on EARTH were you watching "Just Shoot Me"?
  13. "Just Shoot Me"

...Isn't that the show with David Spade,and they like work at some fashion magazine thing or whatever? :confused:
  14. Bass players are mostly put to the far left or right of the stage, and the guitarist(s) and singer(s) get a more prominent position to be seen, does anyone else wonder if this postition influences the number of groupies the bassist gets? If yes then Im glad Im not a drummer.
  15. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000

I don't think you can generalize it like that. If there's a reason guitarists and singers get more attention is because the singer is, well, the singer and guitars get to do solos. On top of that, a lot of singers play guitar, so people tend to associate the guitar with a lead position. Plus, it has a way more recognizable sound that doesn't take much work for the audience to hear.

Then you have the bass. It's usually played by a person who does not sing and does not solo, plus, it looks like a guitar but doesn't sound like one and it actually takes a bit of work to hear what's being played and how it fits in the context of the other instruments. The average non musician is way too burdened with hearing the vocal melody to be bothered to focus the bassline and how it blends in with the rest.

Then you got the rhythm part, which is the toe-tapping bit. Well, the audience in general gives the drum credit for that. People understand "beat" better than "groove" and associate "beat" with the drums. Groupies are big on drummers, though. It's not about being seen as much as it is about being felt...

A lot of people simply don't realize that this instrument that looks like a guitar but doesn't sound like one, doesn't solo and is a little hard to hear is the glue holding the whole thing together. It's all too complicated anyway.

When comedy writers with no music background write about music, their lack of knowledge is glaringly transparent...

I amd SO bored at work right now...