Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another F Bass question(s)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jerry J, Nov 19, 2002.

1. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Another question about the F Bass.

Does your passive tone control change your tone when you are in the active mode?

The printout that comes with the bass says that the pickups are hand wound, in house. But Alain Caron's pickups are made by Semour Duncan. Just how different are the Duncan's in Alain's basses?

2. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Jerry,
    The passive tone controls work 100 % of the time- it works in conjunction with the 3 way active- i like this- because i can dial in a nice eq i like, but then adjust the overall tone to say, go from a rounder fingerstyle tone to a more aggressive slap tone with just a quick adjustment -

3. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    Actually, I don't believe George makes the p/u's anymore but has them made to his specs. He has had them made by Duncan but I'm not sure the current one's are made by them or not. Whoever makes them, they are excellent.

4. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

I love my F. A is correct. You can use the knob to dial in a tone quick w/o messing with the other parts of the preamp. Pretty cool

Rob

5. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I never thought of using it that way. So it's more like a master tone control for the active mode, too. I had been just moving it to either extreme and thinking that this isn't something that works for me. But I'll approach it differently, now.

As far as the pickups, when asked about the tone of the bass I have a hard time saying that it is Fender-like. The bass really has a tone unlike any other basses I've tried. It sounds like Alain's bass. I just wish that I could play with a fraction of Alain's talent.

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    My Studio 5 has a nice Fender Jazz vibe to it. The BN5 sounds less Fendery

7. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    mine is just Fendery enough!! just right-
    Jerry- yeah man- keep in mind that the master tone is like a final check before the signal goes out- if you roll it off- the his in your 3 band will be nulled- likewise- if you open it wide- well, you get the picture...
    so now that you discovered that- youll probably have to reacquaint yourself with the sounds you have worked out for yourself-
    also.,the " Marcus" y type sound that is so popular - i usually get that with both pups wide open in just about any other bass as is Laklands- but with the F bass- i find that i get it with the neck pup full on and the bridge pup backed off just a hair- they do have a groiwl and vibe unlike any other bass- thats part of why im digging them so much-- i also find the ebony boards keep the F bass sound, but its way less fendery..