1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Another fearful cab!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by happychicken, Feb 24, 2016.

1. happychicken

happychicken

Jan 24, 2012
    well I am thrilled with my two 12/6/1 cubes. Now I have been thrown a curve ball. I was going to keep one at home and one at church. However I will not have access to it during the week or even Saturday's. This is a pain. Now i realize I won't need two cabs for most stuff, but I want two cabs. So I am considering building a 15/6 or 15/6/1 to pair with the 12/6/1 inverted baffle cube.
    That being said I have no idea if the 18sound mid and alphalite will sound good be used together?
    Do I need a horn?
    Thanks all

2. No horn in my 15/6/15 sub rig. I've always equated horns in bass cabs with those unappealing round-wound string squeaks, HISSSssssssssssssssssssss, and shrill ugly transients. It's something about my childhood...but I say leave all the ugliness to the guitarists.

I can't comment on the Alphalite, but that 18Sound 6" is like a small tornado of energy and sound; I know there are guys with two of them in their stack, and I can't imagine trying to keep their impact contained. With only one, I always have to be careful of a yowling feedback when my G&L pickup gets a little too close.

JackANSI and SteveHeissner like this.
  3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    I'd opt for a lil' practice 15/6.

I think it would be just about perfect for home use.

Jim Carr and carl h. like this.
  4. happychicken

happychicken

Jan 24, 2012
    I am just wondering if the horn is worth it or not. And which one there are options that vary from +75 to +130. Honestly I struggle to hear the difference with the horn turned all the way down on the 12/6/1 cube.

5. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    If you can't tell the difference, or the difference is so slight with the horn, it sounds like you either have really serious hearing loss in the upper ranges or you're not sending the speaker much in the way of content in the frequencies that the tweeter and horn present. Either option is valid, but both suggest that you could probably be fine going tweeter/horn free.

wcriley and Jim Carr like this.
  6. If the problem is need 2 cab firepower at church but still need something to practice with at home, you can do a coffeehouse ten for that.

7. happychicken

happychicken

Jan 24, 2012
    I just got my mb800 in today so I'll give a listen as that's supposedly very hi-fi. Maybe the horn will jump out more.
    But horn or no I'll have no problem with the 15/6 and 12/6/1 used together?

8. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Or a double 1515/66 setup. That would work too.

9. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    No. They're completely compatible.

Jim Carr and Noylin like this.
  10. happychicken

happychicken

Jan 24, 2012
    Word. It's on like kong donkey

11. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    No horn. Avoid the hiss that can come with it.

12. particularly if you have a mole problem.

But seriously, it seems to me OP has a cab building excess reward to effort ratio problem looking for excuses to get another hit.

Or maybe I didn't read between the lines correctly. Is there a requirement for TWO massive bass rigs so one can be permanently at church while you freelance with the other?

13. Noylin

Noylin Supporting Member

May 28, 2014
    Cuse
    given what you've said - unless you notice a big difference with the GK and that suits your tastes better with a horn - I'd say the only reason to put a tweet in the 15/6 is if you think you'd ever use it for something other than a bass amp where full range extension up top is important

by the way, doesn't your Mesa D800 go down to 2 ohms? Maybe build a 151566 and run all three simultaneously. Now that's a church service I'd attend religiously.

wcriley likes this.
  14. happychicken

happychicken

Jan 24, 2012

They still couldn't hear me!! Or they would think its the apocalypse!

15. happychicken

happychicken

Jan 24, 2012
    Dude you got me. I just like the stack look even for practice. I have problems.

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  16. 1515/6 it is then. You can sell off one of the 12/6 to defray expenses. It is going to happen eventually.

17. Still be cheaper to do 2x coffee cabs. Mini stack of doom!

18. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Note I said "double 1515/66."

^^^ This is important.

Foz, wisconsindead, wcriley and 2 others like this.
  19. happychicken

happychicken

Jan 24, 2012
    Ah I think I like the idea of the 15/6 and 12/6 cube together. I wouldn't want the 1515/6 just because it's gotta suck to transport that thing.

20. .
    OP: Consider a 1212/6

I have both a 1212/6/1 and 1515/66/1.

The '12 is definitely my favourite. It sounds just as powerful as the '15 to my ears, but weighs less and fits in my car a lot easier.
    As a result, it gets a lot more active duty than the bigger cab.

zac2944 and hintz like this.