1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Another Fender American Deluxe Jazz Bass Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GG7, Mar 17, 2013.

1. GG7

GG7

Mar 14, 2013
    If you leave the bass plugged in to an amp with the toggle switch set to PASSIVE, is the active side off, or will it continue to use battery juice with a cord plugged in?

I would assume that it would only use the batteries if the active side is switched on, but I didn't want to assume without knowing for a fact that this was the case.

I prefer to leave my bass plugged in when I am taking a break from practicing etc. with the bass switched over to passive.

Thanks in advance!

2. GG7

GG7

Mar 14, 2013
    Also...Is there a club on here for this Fender model? I did a search but didn't find anything specific. Not sure if I am using the right thread titles to find one. I was surprised that I couldn't find one on here since there are clubs for so many other bass models.

Thanks again!

3. oink

oink

Aug 17, 2012
    Dublin, Ireland

I'm looking for that club too! I want to buy one and I need to hear what people think of it.

back to the search for now....

4. The battery will drain if you leave the cord plugged even if it´s switched to passive mode. The plug itself act as a switch when plugged in.

5. GG7

GG7

Mar 14, 2013
    Thanks for the info!

I actually called and talked to Fender about this and they basically told me the same thing. :(

Something to do with the way the jack is wired. The switch is upstream of the active circuit.

It kinda sucks that they designed it that way. My electric Mandolin does not do this if switched off the active mode.

6. You can leave the plug plugged between breaks, but don´t for large periods of time.

7. Rebop

Rebop

Jul 9, 2008
    La Honda, CA
    Rewire it the way you want.

8. P Town

P Town

Dec 7, 2011
    I think the reason for the wiring scheme is to prevent unwanted loud "pops" that may be produced when the bass is plugged into an amplifier with the volume up, when applying, or removing power to the active circuit.

It may be best to leave it as designed.