Another Fender Finish Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by funk_engineer, Apr 12, 2003.

1. I went down to the local music store today for the first time in months. They had two MIA Jazzes that weren't there before. One was black and the other was a color I really liked but couldn't quite place. It was barely off-white, and you could just see the grain of the wood beneath it. It was more flat than glossy. I checked Fender's color chart online, and the closest thing might be honey blonde, but I can't tell.
    I checked the available colors of a MIA Jazz, as well, and there were no whites or other light colors. The bass didn't have the dealer stickers and tags the other new basses had, but the SN began with Z03, so I think it's still pretty recent. Any idea what color this is and if it's available on new Fenders?
  2. It could be one of those new Highway 1 series basses. They have flat finishes.
  3. arcopizz

arcopizz Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2002
    The transparent white finish you are talking about is my favorite finish done on any fender. I have always heard it called White Blonde.

It's a premium finish and costs extra because they use more choice pieces of wood because you can see the grain.
  4. Hadn't even thought of that, but I guess that would make sense-- flat finish and American parts. I wish they had more of them in stock at the store to compare with the MIA basses. I really like the MIA P-bass they have, and I'm wondering how the HW-1 P-basses would stack up. (No maple fretboards, though. :()