Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another fender thread

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by d8g3jdh, Nov 18, 2005.

1. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Ok, im a little confused and have some questions about fender. I know they have screwy QC, and that this is all objectionable, but i was wondering what the supposed progression is on quality (pretend QC is not an issue). is it:

MIM -> MIJ -> reissue -> Hwy 1 -> MIA? (think precisions, not jazzes)

also, if i was gonna pick up a fender p, i would probably mod it up to make it as good as possible. If so, should i just grab a used MIM or spend extra for a used MIJ/MIA? I would want it to be as good as possible, is the build quality difference worth it?

Which reissues are worth looking at?

And finally, are there any places in the Toronto area that stock MIM, MIJ, MIA, and Hwy1 P's?

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    If you already know that you're going to mod the bass to make it how you like, I'd suggest shopping for something that will more closely resemble what you want off the shelf. A Lakland Skyline perhaps?

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    MIM, Hwy 1, MIJ, MIA, MIA reissue

From worst to best.

Buy something you'll like from the getgo and you won't have to waste time and money in mods. Why spend $400 in mods to a $400 bass?

4. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    but what if i like it from the get go and then i can love it after the mods? it would probly only be some nice pickups and a better bridge, and only if i felt it was worth it.

oh, and whats the difference between the MIA and the Hwy 1?

5. Long & McQuade

Go to the Bloor St. store in Toronto. They have a huge stock of Fenders basses.

More info at www.long-mcquade.com