1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

another fine John K restoration of a 1964 Fender Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pbass888, Oct 6, 2013.

1. pbass888

pbass888 Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    New York, NY
    Our own John Kallas restored my 1964 Fender Jazz with his amazing touch. I thought I would his share the work of the only person whom I'd let restore this wonderful bass. He had the bridge pup rewound by Duncan and the rest speaks for itself. All the work was done painstakingly by hand with a period correct refinish (nitro etc) and original parts (as well as JK's tort pic guard). Playing her first gigs in the apple shortly.
    Great job John!

here are a few of the before pics

Attached Files:

2. pbass888

Jul 8, 2009
    New York, NY
    more before pics

Attached Files:

3. pbass888

Jul 8, 2009
    New York, NY
    the after....!

Attached Files:

4. pbass888

Jul 8, 2009
    New York, NY
    continued

Attached Files:

5. pbass888

Jul 8, 2009
    New York, NY
    last one (click on the pics to expand)

Attached Files:

6. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

Bloody fantastic.

7. g4string

g4string

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    Thats where its at!!! Looks amazing!!!!! That bass is ready for another 60 years. I'd be pleased if it were me.

8. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i'm glad to hear that you're happy with it. I was happy with the results too ;)

one of the hardest parts of the restoration was that both the body and neck were previously sanded down to bare wood and had a dark walnut stain applied then coated with what appeared to be a rattle can polyurethane clear finish applied over it. getting that stain out of the grain was pretty challenging, especially on the neck.

once I got both of them down to bear wood, I had to bleach them 3 times. the body needed some slight filling and re-shaping to true it up back to stock. then the body was shot with fullerplast sealer (as used by fender in 1964) followed by the nitro color and clear coats.

the neck was sealed with nitro sealer, a slight amber tint applied and then shot with 8 coats of clear nitro.

the nice thing is, all of the hardware, even including the pickguard screws were the original ones so the only replacement part on it is the new tort guard.

BritBass 2, murphy and FenderOli like this.
  9. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    nice jazz bass. question, are those clay dots? they look really dark, is that how the clay dots aged over time?

10. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I call total BS in this, period!

You know JK is a "time-bandit". He went back in time and stole your bass from the original owner and took credit for the restoration. He does it all the time!

Seriously though, time is a big factor. IMO one can study photos forever but actually handling hundreds(maybe more)of the real thing is key for getting these type of results.

11. Dang if that ain't one of the prettiest Jazz bass I've ever seen. The Dog to Supermodel transformation is simply astounding.

12. Fab Superlative

Fab Superlative

Oct 12, 2006
    Metro Motown
    The Truth Is Out There
    Hubba, Hubba! :D

Congrats, looks great! pbass888.

13. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    they all do get darker with age, but on some of them, the clay dots get really dark. I think that it mostly depends on its environment over the years.

14. Gotta say I like the mojo on the body in the before pics much better. Other than that it looks solid!

15. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    thats kind of what i figured as those are the darkest dots i've seen. thanks for the info John.

16. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    I actually restored another '64 j bass and a '66 pbass at the same time as this one. on the other jazz bass, the body had some really deep gouges from playing. it was also stained walnut so on the second one, the owner wanted it shoreline gold since the filler would show thru a burst finish.

the bridge was replaced with a Schaller roller bridge but the owner sent me the original one with it, and this one still did have it's original tort guard

I don't have any 'before' pics of it (it was really ugly!) but it ended up coming out really nice too.

MS64JBass-05.

MS64JBass-06.

MS64JBass-09.

MS64JBass-10.

17. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Cool stuff, nice pics. Thanks for sharing.

murphy likes this.
  18. pbass888

Jul 8, 2009
    New York, NY
    Awesome John.... Thanks to everyone for the kind comments. I'm lucky enough to say that this is the third bass that John has done for me. He originally redid the neck on my 96 Mia jazz years ago then, I brought one of his jazzes (a 66 replica in CAR with lollipops). Living in nyc I am able to try a lot of boutique builders and I mysteriously always come back to Johns work. His necks, attention to detail and knowledge of restoration keeps me coming back. And he is very accessible. The bases that he has worked on have been used in gigs and sessions and have always received complements from fellow musicians.

We're pretty lucky here on TB to have John work on and participate in the forum. Meanwhile I'm gonna work the *^** out of this baby;)

murphy likes this.
  19. I agree that we are very lucky to have John Kallas here with us. Pretty much an amazing dude all around and so generous with his wealth of knowledge.

Thank you John!

20. Fab Superlative

Fab Superlative

Oct 12, 2006
    Metro Motown
    The Truth Is Out There
    It also appears to me like the previous owner(s) of this bass, loved them some Walnut, stain. :D
    It wouldn't surprise me if they gave the fretboard, a bath in it as well?

By whatever process, that caused the dots to become darker...in this result, I like it...a lot! :cool:

Also to me, this illustrates another excellent showing, of the fantastic restoration work that John, performs.
    A proper restoration, is as much of an art, as it is a skill.
    What to leave in? and what to take out?

Again, in this completed restoration it is just WOW!