1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

another first band thread

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Platypus_Of_420, Apr 28, 2006.

1. im betting a thread like this has been posted but the search function didnt help.

my friend wants to start a band with me (he sings, fyi), we havnt found a drummer yet and hes talking to this guitar player in his english class and says hes really good. if it even happens, it probly wont happen for a while; but if it does it'll be my first band. i'm not really ready for it yet though, i needa get WAY better musically (re-learn a few chords, scales, theory, and just music in general), and improve my technique..help make it more musical, i guess, i can make up some pretty good lines on my own sometimes, but theyre not good enough to be used in a musical sense. can any of you help me out with this? what to practice with (dont suggest a metronome, i already know). and give any tips to help the experience with the first band (if it happens) go well?

thanks
    PO420

2. oops wrong forum

mods can you move this to the band management page?
    sorry

3. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    What kind of tunes are you gonna play?

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Your request is my pleasure! Moved!

5. just rock, probly in every form except heavy/thrash metal. i was hoping to have a style kind of like incubus, but i dont know their tastes in music, but i know it'll atleast be rock, if that helps any.

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Sounds good, go for it. Hey, jump in early, even if you aren't "experienced" enough, I find that you'll learn more playing with others than playing with yourself. ;)

7. jamescalvin

jamescalvin

Jan 10, 2006
    Orange County
    That is the truth. When I joined my first band, I still played the bass with my thumb (remember that guys?). I auditioned with 6 other bassist too who were waaaaaay better than I was at the time. They ended up picking me and I got so much better playing with them (i play with my fingers now, I only use the thumb for slapping). All you have to do is practice and play, you're not required to be Jaco in your first band. Just get in the game and play.

8. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    +420

9. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    + 1 to Typlon's post.

I'd also like to add that, without even hearing you play, I'm sure that you are more ready than you realize. I guarantee that there are less skilled bassists playing in bands all over the place. Relax, have fun - have confidence and just do it.

10. Jeff Martinez

Jeff Martinez

May 10, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I don't know...I learned an awful lot in life playing with myself :eek: ....Oh, were talking about music....my bad.

Seriously... musically, I've learned more from interaction with others that I ever could on my own.

11. Start the band as soon as you can. I practiced with a drummer and a 15 watt Crate combo for months until we got a guitarist. You learn A LOT more than if you play by yourself. What you can and can't do, when to do something fancy and when to lay back and groove.

12. My first band experience was when i had been playing for like 2 weeks. Just a few mates mucking around, we all found something to do and they basically got me to play open As for the whole song. Still i didnt know anything and they still found something i could play lol. Just get into it, you may not be ready for a band thats gonna go and perform live. But you will surely be right playing with a couple of mates in high school