Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another first gig post!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Cornbread, Jan 24, 2001.

1. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    Yesterday was my first gig with my school's "jazz" band, the Space Monkeys. We played before a JV basketball game and during half time. When I got there, we were told we'd have five minutes to get everything ready and tuned up. We jumped right into "Listen Here", which wasn't that great. The two guitars were either too loud or too quiet, and the room acoustics (a big gym) weren't favorable for the guitars. Next, at half time, we played a version of Phish's 2001. I thought it sounded really good; I played the intro with some Mike Gordon type slapping. Finally, we rushed into Watermelon Man, with a rock/funk arrangement. I have to play the tune with basically all 16th notes ala Rocco Prestia. Overall, the gig went well even though we didn't get much response from the audience. We weren't even introduced; we just started playing.