1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Another Fishman Full Circle Problem?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Murphbass, Nov 24, 2020.

1. Murphbass

Murphbass

Jun 12, 2005
    Sacramento, CA
    I've had the same Full Circle on my 60s Kay for a while. I'm guessing it's been at least eight years, though I don't play nearly as much upright as electric bass. From reading Talkbass threads, it seems like they have a shelf life.

I just noticed that the 'E' an octave up from low E is distorting. It doesn't matter if I play it at the 2nd 'fret' on the D string or the 7th on the A string- same story. I tried switching instrument cables, detaching and reattaching the RCA plug from the pickup to the jack, etc. My action is on the high, bluegrass side. I have the adjusters almost all the way down, though there is a gap. I think the bass would be unplayable otherwise.

Is this evidence of the pickup going out? Or, would the effect occurring only on one note suggest something else? eg would it happen more uniformly across the range of the instrument if it were the pickup? Acoustically, the bass sounds fine at that note.

I perused some previous posts but did not see this specific problem. Any help is appreciated. It seems like repair through Fishman is an option, and in these Covid days, a couple weeks without a pickup is okay.

Tangentially related: if anyone has good luck with a pickup on an old Kay (or similar plywood bass), I'm open to try something new. I'm using D'addario Zyex strings and getting a nice tone. Not going for a super-stringy sound, but a singing mid range and some sustain is always welcome.

2. If it buzzes at one frequency, it might be the bass, not the pickup.

3. lurk

lurk

Dec 2, 2009
    NYC
    When mine died it was more of a distorted electronic crap out than anything I would describe as a buzz.

Fat bob and Chris Fitzgerald like this.
  4. bassmanbrent

bassmanbrent Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Vancouver, BC
    It's hard to say from here, but that doesn't sound like a pickup problem. When mine died, it was as lurk described above. Every note was distorted and crapped out.

5. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    As Kung Fu Sherif mentioned, it's more likely that you have a mechanical buzz coming from the bass. There's one on my Mirecourt Bass and I've never been able to determine where it originates from. Fortunately, it's intermittent and

is only noticeable through some condenser microphones mounted close to the top. I think the pickup you are currently using is good on a plywood instrument. You wouldn't want to use a Realist (Copper Foil) Alternatively,

you could try the KNA-DB1 Cremona, their inexpensive and sound good. Just my take of course.

6. To quote Joni Mitchell:

"And the seasons they go round and round
    And the painted ponies go up and down
    We're captive on the carousel of time
    We can't return we can only look behind
    From where we came
    And go round and round and round
    In the circle game

Sixteen springs and sixteen summers gone now"

Meaning when the Full Circle has crapped you only have a memory of how good it sounded but can't return the pickup or return to the state of good amplification. Pony up for another one or a Japanese Yamahiko. Sixteen summers means you include the southern hemisphere because in about 8 years at best, the Full Circle will perish.

Think about this every time you plugged it in.

I do have the full circle. Won't be replacing it.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
  7. Fat bob

Fat bob

Jan 14, 2013
    Denver
    Sorry for mentioning this if you’ve already trouble shot- because the tone can be changed by turning the pickup.. is it possible it’s all the way “focused” (or whatever you call the setting with it most trebly and direct sounding). Would a 1/8 of a turn- either direction- of the pickup make it better? My thought is on that focused setting it seems the highest gain, and maybe wouldn’t get that distorted sound out of the E’s if adjusted? 8 years!

8. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar Jazz & Cocktails Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Central Pa
    I think I’m on my 3rd or 4th FC over two basses and I can’t remember how any of them died ... but they did.

Probably best to just order a new one and do a set up - you got a lot of time out of it so that’s a blessing.

I have a Rev Solo pup also installed as a gig day backup to the eventual failure of my current FC. At least it’s a good time for servicing while gigs are far between ...

9. Jim Dombrowski

Jim Dombrowski Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    This is from an earlier thread on this topic:

“It seems that they (Fishman) have a $20 bench fee for assessment if no fault is found, and a flat $50 bench fee to fix whatever may be wrong. Customer pays shipping both ways.

jallenbass likes this.
  10. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    My FC was broken when my bass was knocked over and they replaced it with a new one for the cost of a repair plus shipping. No need to buy a brand new one.

Ric Vice likes this.
  11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021