Another football question

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Komakino, Sep 23, 2002.

1. How does the NFL league system work?

I looked up the league last night and found there's the NFC and AFC and all that and that the AFC has 4 divisions: Northern, Southern, Western and Eastern (is that right?) but Kansas City and New England played each other last night and they're in different does that work then? Could someone explain it to me please? Oh and which is better, AFC or NFC or are they just equivalent because the US is so huge and it's cutting down on travelling time?!

Cheers! :D
  2. The 4-division system is brand new this year, due to the addition of the Houston Texans expansion team this season, making an even number of 32 teams (16 per conference). The divisions were supposed to be set up to reflect the geography and reduce traveling time, but they still managed to screw that up (Miami in the AFC East, with NY, NE, and Buffalo? AFC North with Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Cleveland, and Baltimore? Indianapolis in the South?)

Each team plays every team in their respective division twice per season. Then, the rest of the schedule for each team is supposed to be derived by each team's record from the previous year (losing teams play other losing teams, etc.).

When it was still 3-divisions, each division was also assigned another division in the NFL against which they played one game against each team, but I don't know if they did that this year. Supposedly, the NFL is trying to make the schedule so that each team will play every other team in the NFL within a certain number of seasons.

As far as which conference is better, well that's up for debate. The NFC was first derived from the original NFL, and the AFC used to mainly consist of the remnants of the AFL teams from the 60's, with a few of the original NFL teams thrown in to even the numbers. The NFC has historically dominated, but the balance of power seems to shift from season to season these days.

Okay, that's probably clear as mud. Where's Jazzbo when you need him? He probably can clarify somewhat.
  3. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    I thought you did a good job Dan.