1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Another Fraudulent Sale On eBay

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sturmvogel, Mar 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yes folks, once again the scammers are busy. How do I know this:

EDIT(JT): link removed due to lack of proof.

is a fraud---look at the listed serial number. OK Ric experts---what's wrong?

2. The_Orlonater

The_Orlonater

Jun 6, 2007
    I'm not a Ric expert ,or anything ,but how do you know it's a fake. I believe you ,but I just want to know.

3. If it's a fake, it's a fairly convincing fake.

And the seller is a third party company for the actual seller, which has fairly good feedback.

4. Shovelbone

Shovelbone Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Yonderville Georgia
    Ummmm.... if I remember correctly... shouldnt there be a letter to indicate the month of the year that it was built?
    I am not a Ricks_pert but I do have a buddy who loves Rics and I believe that is the case. I will check with him and find out! I love it when TB'ers expose these rip-offs!

5. falstro

falstro Good Bassists Don't Forget Anything

Well, according to www.rickenbacker.com/service_serials.asp, when you enter that serial number, this shows up:

"Your guitar was manufactured in week number 25 of the year 2002".

Then, how do you know it's a fake? :confused:

6. Rics have two letters and 4 numbers or a letter and numbers. Since posting, this may not be a fake. In looking at current serial numbers (which I haven't seen newer ones made this decade) they have gone ot all numbers. So maybe this one is OK. But usually $1.00 starters are weird---and third party sellers don't know squat about what they are selling. There have been a number of instances on eBay here recently where accounts have been hijacked and fake Ric auctions posted.

But looking into current numbering, this may be fine. False alarm. Sorry.

7. Bone

Bone

Oct 28, 2006
    According to rickenbackers date coding website this bass was mnufactured the 25th week of 2002. It's the real deal.

8. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    You have been breathing too much of the Paw Paw air dude. That's coming from a fellow Easern Panhandler.

9. maevinj

maevinj

Feb 10, 2008
    ALB!
    I don't know about anybody else but this would keep me away from this auction
    Calculated shipping charges include a $85.00 handling fee

10. Rickenbacker changed their serial number system a number of years ago. The two letter / four number system hasn't been used for some time now.

11. I have that exact color bass in a 2005 and my serial number is laid out the same way. All numbers. 'Year' by the stereo port and the rest of it by the mono.

12. Shovelbone

Shovelbone Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Yonderville Georgia
    I stand corrected!

13. Mofo-Kang

Mofo-Kang

Aug 26, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    That alone wouldn't keep me from bidding...but it'd make me knock $50 off the highest amount I'd go.

14. Just Thumpin'

Just Thumpin' Commercial User

Mar 7, 2008
    NE United States
    Manager and Partner, Fodera Guitars (as of 10/14/09)
    I have sold three fantastic basses on eBay in the past two years and have started all of those auctions with a $1.00 starting bid. The other way to look at a $1.00 starting bid (assuming that it is associated with a 100% positive feedback Seller as I am) is that the Seller is certain that what he/she is offering will sell at a reasonable market price. If you are selling the real deal AND you have 100% feedback as a Seller, placing a high reserve only serves to limit the number of bidders at your auction....

15. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    false alarm. this needs to be closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.