Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another Fun Poll!!!!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by JWC, Nov 29, 2000.

1. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    Do you use a pick or your fingers(how many?)or both?

fingers always, 2 fingers

Are you a root note king? (Be honest now!)

sometimes when Im lazy

Have you ever printed out a Jaco tab or tried to play a Jaco song by ear and felt like a complete jackass when you couldn't play it worth a lick?

anytime I ever have tried

Can you slap?

about well enough to look like a complete wannabe jackass and embarass myself in a music store

Has anyone ever thought you played guitar when you know full well you play the damn bass, even though they have seen you play?

yep, my own cousin was the last

Do you ever look through BASS PLAYER magazine and wonder to yourself. "who the hell are all these people in this magazine?!?" (other than the cover story)

all the time

Phil Lesh, bassist or frustated guitarist?

frustrated guitarist

you have played "Tom Sawyer" in front of someone and really impressed them because you were playing a Rush song, but you knew deep down, thats as easy as a Rush song gets (expcet the 7/4 bit in the middle, but i got that nailed.)

OH YEAH

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga

3. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden

Like JT; thumb, index, middle, ring finger. I only use a pick if my right hand is hurt (IOW not very often).

I try not to, but the for the most, the result is just pathetic.

Have you ever printed out a Jaco tab or tried to play a Jaco song by ear and felt like a complete jackass when you couldn't play it worth a lick?

When I couldn't get the first four bars of "Teen Town" right in ten minutes I went "aaaarggh" and watched TV instead. :rolleyes:

Can you slap?

I know some technique, but I never seem to maintain the tempo throughout the pattern... IOW I suck. ;)

Has anyone ever thought you played guitar when you know full well you play the damn bass, even though they have seen you play?

No, but I played in front of an entire audience which didn't notice that the bass amp died in the middle of a song. How can one possibly *not* notice? :mad:

Do you ever look through BASS PLAYER magazine and wonder to yourself. "who the hell are all these people in this magazine?!?" (other than the cover story)

Cover story? "Who the hell is Sam Rivers?"

Who the hell is Phil Lesh?

you have played "Tom Sawyer" in front of someone and really impressed them because you were playing a Rush song, but you knew deep down, thats as easy as a Rush song gets (expcet the 7/4 bit in the middle, but i got that nailed.)

I have played that line a lot of times in front of a lot of different people, but only one guy knew it was a Rush song and he was a bit impressed.
    And it's still the only Rush song I can play from start to end.

[Edited by Oysterman on 11-30-2000 at 11:13 AM]

4. Do you use a pick or your fingers(how many?)or both?

finger- 2 3 sometime with a thumb

sometimes if the guitar player is breaking up the song

only tried to play come on, and chicken, there not to bad, especialy if you do them my way

Can you slap?

old school, yes the new slap of testostorone, why would i

yep, my parents

all the time, and why are they there, and how come they haven't covered BeefCake

bass player, crappy band

i prefer Cygnus X-1

5. Player

Player

Dec 27, 1999
    USA Cincinnati, OH
    Fingers and thumb (no pinkey)
    No.
    Yes.
    Yes.
    Yes.
    Yes.
    Bassist.
    Yes, but I also played the Keyboards and Tarus pedals and actually feel "Subdivisions" was easier as far as the bass (but it took more coordination for the synth lead/Tarus pedal parts).

6. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    Got to agree with John Turner when he says the Grateful Dead's music blows. I cannot sit there and actually enjoy that twangy noise. The Dead did have the coolest t-shirts and logos though. How many kids in your high school wore Dead shirts but probably had no idea of any of their songs? Alot.

7. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Mostly just two fingers. I've learned to use my ring finger on my right hand a touch, and I sometimes practice using my pinky. My thumb gets used very seldom, but when I want that extra warmth. I do use a pick about 3% of the time, though I'm not very good with it. It depends on the sound I'm after.

Root note king? Me? Never! Everytime I start out a song that way, it still ends up sounding pretty complex. I have to force myself to hold back :eek:

I once learned part of Havona by ear. But, I gave up. I wouldn't be able to find a band that could play it along with me, anyway!:)

Very, very horribly! I think I know the intro to RHCP's version of "Higher Ground" and that's about it:oops::!

Sure! I can't remember a specific situation, but, I'm sure some boob got me confused with a guitar hero sometime or another...probably thought I was Steve Vai with really large...tuning pegs:eek:

Nowadays, most of 'em! But, when I read some of the articles, (yes, I actually read the articles, not just look at the pictures:D:D LOL) I find some of these cats have been playing forever! Some of them have really cool stories! It kind of sucks, because I think that's how we're perceived, too:(

Oh...that's what he plays???:D LOL I actually like the Dead and really like the textures he adds underneath AND on top of it all! :)

Well, back in college there were a couple of guys who lived down the hall from me. I wasn't friends with them, but whenever I'd start playing, they'd always come over asking me to play Tom Sawyer, like it was some amazing feat! They didn't get it when I played By-Tor or Hemispheres...:eek:

8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Both, and an adjustable wrench on roundwounds for crescendo endings. # of fingers depends on the passage. Wonder if that kid who was recently born with 12 fingers will take up bass ?

Not a king, but play root-oriented if it's the best fit for a song. I don't think being a root king is as embarassing as gilding the lily. Overplaying is a sonic masturbation.

Printing - nope. Jackassing - affirmative.

Can you slap?

Yes, but I use it only if it's tastefully appropriate for what the other musicians are doing. Otherwise, I avoid it like STD's. For me, slapping is like the bitching about the election - seems as if everyone's doing it, the ubiquity is soooo booooring, and a lot of the people doing it don't do it very well. (Did you see the thread about Bass Day and the SWR booth?)

Uh-huh. Especially the people who use the oxymorons, "rap music" and "rap artist." I play guitar well enough to fool some of the people all of the time because guitar parts are usually more identifiable as "the song" as opposed to basslines, unless the bassline is a song's signature hook, (e.g., Beatles', "Taxman.")

Every issue usually has me scratching my head at least once. Missy Raines? Rich Appleman? Rob Wasserman? Don Thompson? Rick Cua? It can get too esoteric for me but they have turned me on to some bassists I probably wouldn't have discovered and enjoyed on my own. If it was all Sting, Flea, Geddy, and Fieldy, I might as well read "Spin" or "Tiger Beat" for musical exposure. BP columnists can be too elitist at times, (J. Berlin dissing tabs, videos, and unorthodox techniques; Anthony, "I choose to disregard the interests of dilettantes and casual hobbyists....," Jackson), et al. But they have gotten a lot better about recognizing the Ibanez/ESP/Peavey majority and not focusing on the Glockenklang/Alembic Europa/Sennheiser Orpheus club.
    Most bassists don't have the surname, "Rockefeller."

Jeez, that's an excellent point. I've seen/heard the Dead twice and I don't get him at all, nor do I care to. If he was a color, I'd say he was beige. I can't like or dislike him because I don't hear any color, passion, humor, groove, sophistication, guts, expression, whatever, in his playing. To me, he's the bottled water of bassdom - some folks suck it down but ask them to describe the taste. Just like Garcia and Jerry's mindless, directionless, emotionless, guitar doodlings. And why does Lesh need a jillion dollars worth of cutting edge gear to sound like someone with online/catalog available equipment using flatwounds? At least he made me glad I quit acid before my brain turned into toasted marshmallows.

Nope. I never tried to appreciate Geddy's playing because his sans-testicles, Alvin & the Chipmunks-on-Dexedrine, played-at-78rpm, vocals made me change the station everytime. I have heard enough to know I like his bass sound and his lines better since he picked up the Fender. I have an old Rick and it's easy to get hooked on that percussive sound and overplay because each note is articulated so well. But, I hear he sings differently these days. Nowadays, Lifeson's absolute dependence on pyrotechnics is the only thing that keeps me from changing the station, or has that changed too ? :D

[Edited by rickbass1 on 12-04-2000 at 12:41 PM]

9. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA

10. Fingers. I'd say half the time, I only use my index finger. I'm actually faster and cleaner playing with one finger than with two.

I almost always play the root on the "one", but in between chords, I walk around a lot.

I've never printed out a Jaco tab, but I used to be able to play "Portrait of Tracy" note-for-note. My articulation wasn't nearly as good though!

Nothing musical.

Not that I can remember, although the first time I told my uncle I was playing bass, he thought I meant upright.

Sometimes, but more often than not I will investigate who they are, and I've been turned on to a lot of really cool music that I might not have otherwise found. I remember picking up the January '91 issue and reading a short article about some guy I'd never heard of before.. Victor Wooten or something like that.

Imaginative bassist.

Well yeah, I can play "Tom Sawyer." But I'd say that's far from "as easy as a Rush song gets." Try "Working Man" or "In The End." Hell, "Limelight" is way easier than "Tom Sawyer."

[/B][/QUOTE]

11. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    --Do you use a pick or your fingers(how many?)or both?

I use every digit on my right hand to either make noise, or to mute. I have recently started using a metal pick with my Jazz Bass for a different tone.

--Are you a root note king? (Be honest now!)

If I get tired, or bored. The rest of the band knows when I start playing whole notes that it's time to wrap up a tune.

--Have you ever printed out a Jaco tab or tried to play a Jaco song by ear and felt like a complete jackass when you couldn't play it worth a lick?

Not in a long time. I'd say I had about a 60%-40% success rate.

--Can you slap?
    Yeah, but I don't do it much.

--Has anyone ever thought you played guitar when you know full well you play the damn bass, even though they have seen you play?

Actually, I haven't really had this problem.

--Do you ever look through BASS PLAYER magazine and wonder to yourself. "who the hell are all these people in this magazine?!?" (other than the cover story)

Yep, and I have found some new inspirations because of it, too.

--Phil Lesh, bassist or frustated guitarist?

A good bassist in a boring jam band. I'd start noodling like him, too, if I had to play behing a 20 minute Jerry Garcia solo.

--you have played "Tom Sawyer" in front of someone and really impressed them because you were playing a Rush song, but you knew deep down, thats as easy as a Rush song gets (expcet the 7/4 bit in the middle, but i got that nailed.)

Not in a long, long time. Although, I did audition for my first band in high school by playing "Shy Boy." Does that count?

12. Do you use a pick or your fingers(how many?)or both?

Pick mostly. Or thumb/index/middle. I like the thumb for some reason.

Uh...I can play root notes.

Nope.

Can you slap?

Yes I can. Not well. But I can. I only use it fer a couple funk songs I made up.

My mom. Doesnt have a clue. Although I DO occasionally pick up my friends geetar and play.

Never seen the maggymazine.

Whosat?

you have played "Tom Sawyer" in front of someone and really impressed them because you were playing a Rush song, but you knew deep down, thats as easy as a Rush song gets

Whats Rush? eep!

I obviously dont know much, eh?

13. Reid

Reid

Aug 25, 2000
    Oakville, Ontario

usually a pick, sometimes i go with the two fingers

nah... fills are fun

you betcha

Can you slap?

sure.. oh you mean slap on a bass... well in that case, not very well

yeah, my parents

nope, never looked through one

well, i've never heard of this guy, so i'm going to call him the first of a new breed, a hybrid bassist/guitarist

nope, but i think i'll try that sometime

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

15. furtim

furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA

Pluck only with index and middle (considering starting a program to work in the ring finger). Leave that pick stuff to g**tarists.

Well. I did the first time I had to sightread a chart without a written line. Still do sometimes, whenever I have to play behind a ballad. I try to fit in fills when appropriate, though, because I frankly just can't allow myself to play whole notes too often. Makes me think I'm in Orchestra class.

I've had some fair success with Slang (except, of course, for the part in the tab marked "REALLY LONG, HARD SOLO") and I can almost kinda do the first four measures of the bass line to Teen Town. On a good day. No, on a GREAT day. As for a feeling like a jackass, I regret that I ever took a look at the tab for Portrait of Tracy...

Oh, but I did manage to get the head bassline to Mercy, Mercy, Mercy! =)

Can you slap?

Yes. Well? HELL, NO! Doesn't bother me, though. I'll leave that to "gods" (BWAHAHAHAHA) like Flea (double BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA).

No. But then again, I'm a real pain in the ass about it. Everybody knows I play bass, whether they want to or not. ;)

I've never mananged to see anything in that magazine to make me give it a look. So, I guess the answer is no.

Don't know, don't care.

I'm in that class of "Don't listen to Rush" folk.

16. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK

17. Do you use a pick or your fingers(how many?)or both?

index, middle and ring constantly, thumb for chords and pinky for muting, no pick.

root?

transcribed Portrait of Tracy, played many others. Much easier to play Jaco stuff than those damn Charlie Parker solos. I think I'll take a look at continuum.

Can you slap?

Used too, I was pretty good actually. Got bored and bought back the fretless and never looked back.

Not really, but many people assume that because I play bass, I play guitar. I can't even hold a pick correctly.

Bass Player?

Phil Lesh?

Yes, but they were much more impressed by YYZ. There's also the intro of that song when Chili Peppers started to be hot. I don't know how many times people asked me to play that lick, even though I never heard the song (except for the intro).

18. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

19. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    That analogy would work if Milli Vanilli had performed thousands of live shows over two decades. And I never said Phil was any good, but he's definitely a bassist, IMO.

Now, if you had thrown Fieldy's name up in my face, I'd be forced to concede the point. ;)

20. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000

usually 2 fingers, sometimes 3, my thumb

when i´m lazy

Yeah!

Can you slap?

well..yes...

yes

Sometimes

I dunno

Whats Tom Sawyer?