1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Another Fuzz Quest

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Antonio Argenis, Dec 8, 2018.

1. I know of the abundance of threads related to this topic, and I've probably read damn near all of them, many more than once, but hopefully I can get some help here.

I'm looking for my standby fuzz. I love the muff variants sound when I'm by myself, but in my band context (3 piece band; rock and roll guitar, bass, and drums, 3 vox) it never sits right. I cover a lot of ground as a bassist in a 3-piece covering bass and rhythm duties, so I largely only play against a loud drummer, but I have to leave room for the guitar when he comes in. Muffs cut fine, but it just doesn't sit right in the mix, and I've tried multiple muffs from the Grey Stache to the Dwarfcraft Eau Claire Thunder. Which is to say, I'm moving away from the muff type, for now.
    In regards to gain stages, I currently have a Fairfield Accountant compressor which I use as dirty as I can get it, and a Fuzzrocious Rat Tail (now Cat Tail) with everything cranked and the tone all the way CCW for a nice grindy distorted tone that my band mates would stone me if I got rid of. I run a p-bass with vintage Nordies and a FAT cap (idr the value off top) in the tone pot so I can get really bassy through an early 90's Ampeg SVT iii (non pro) with the lows and mids bumped and the hi's brought back a bit (and of course the super low switch engaged).
    In terms of what I'm looking for, I'm looking for, it's a toss up between the fuzz tone in Wands album "Golem" and Radioheads "Myxamytosis"; maybe something gated? Or just something a little more mid-focused?
    In terms of what I've been considering:
    SSBS Buzzz and TAFM
    EQD Terminal and Eruptor
    Dark Glass Duality
    Fuzzrocious Heliotropic
    Malekko B:Assmasster or Diabolik (but I'm not excited about the volume spike, admittedly)
    And a few others that I can't remember off top.
    Open to other suggestions, but would love to hear your take on some of these pedals, especially the Buzzz and Terminal which don't see much love on here, it seems.
    Bonus bonus if you can compare any of those to a Rat(cat) Tail or a Eau Claire Thunder (or Baby Thundaa)
    Stackability is a def plus as well as use with other types of pedals!

rratajski likes this.
  2. You need a Spaceman Nebula!!

3. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    Probably overkill but for 200-300$ you can score one of these:

blackout-effectors-twosome-dual-fuzz-xl.
    It's a dual fuzz, the Blackout Effects Musket on the right side is a killer muff circuit and the left side is their Fix'd Fuzz deluxe which is more of a full range versatile dirt circuit.

They make a few versions as well, the basic one doesn't seem to stack but instead has A/B switching while the later versions do stack and have an order switch so you can run either circuit first.

Even though it's half Muff the Musket is a super versatile circuit, and the Fix'd Fuzz circuit looks amazing too. And they are both 200$~ individually so the Twosome is a great deal, been meaning to get one of the stackable versions.

Here's a demo of the "seriously special twosome":

4. Driven Crane

Driven Crane

May 30, 2014
    only two have survived in my board. duality and green big muff ri.

5. That looks awesome! I hadn't heard of this one, but I had heard of the Sputnik

jazznrick likes this.
  6. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
    That Myxamytosis tone is one of my favorite fuzz synth tones ever. A gated square wave fuzz into a detune/chorus pedal will work for that. Muffs can't really do it so I see why that isn't working for you.

As far as stacking Ive always stacked my Mastotron underneath a Muff fuzz for an even more compressed fuzz tone. The right mix provides such a pleasant harmonic buzz fuzz tone.

7. Oh yea! I love throwing a chorus after some dirt for a synthy sound. Indispensible after higher gain for beautiful tone. I use a pretty standard Boss CEB 2 with the depth dimed and a moderate rate. Paired with a vintage EHX Microsynth? A beauty. Looking to do something similar after I get the Bit Commander, which is on my short list.
    But back to fuzz, yes, that's why the Buzzz and Terminal have been on my radar

Robertron likes this.
  8. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    People were jaw-dropping about the Helio yesterday at the live event. It was pretty great to see. Lots of feedback about how heavy it is.
    All of what you mentioned are VASTLY different from the Cat (Rat) Tail since the CT is a distortion/overdrive. I guess you can compare B:Ass and Diab in that they and CT bite in the upper mids, but the upper octave effect in the former two really make it not comparable.

ObsessiveArcher likes this.
  9. CRich0205

CRich0205

Feb 17, 2013
    Kansas
    The DOD carcosa is based on a maestro circuit I believe. Does a super gated synth sounding fuzz. I add a phaser and it really gets synth. I think it’s a pretty versatile fuzz and it’s pretry inexpensive.

10. Uncle Hanky

Uncle Hanky

May 10, 2017
    Texas
    I have a Carcosa and love it, but do yourself a favor and check out Fuzzlord Effects. One-man operation out of Oregon. I bought an SM-2 a couple-three weeks ago, and just ordered a Void Master. I’m sure he has a model or two you’d like.

11. ardgedee

ardgedee

May 13, 2018
    I got an EBS FuzzMo recently to experiment with and am enjoying it. It's new-old-stock on clearance for $40 from ProAudioStar, so it's a cheap thing to experiment with. Makes a nice broad range of noises, and has a blend control.

12. bigmikebass

bigmikebass Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Fairview Park , Ohio
    Used Vexter wooly mammoth?

upload_2018-12-9_16-8-31.

Bassist30 likes this.
  13. I had the same issue with various fuzz pedals including the Greystache and the Eau Claire Thunder. Both, great sounding pedals on their own, but not in my current band mix. Then, I tried punching them up by using a low gain overdrive pedal between the fuzz and the amp. I found the tone I was looking for.

I used various low gain OD pedals, they all yielded similar results. I can’t see myself using fuzz without overdrive anytime in the near future.

Might be worth a shot if you have any drive pedals kicking around. I wish I would have tried this before I picked up a half dozen Fuzz pedals last year. Good luck on your quest.

Antonio Argenis and rratajski like this.
  14. WaldoNova

WaldoNova Having fun yet? Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Mt Vernon, NY
    Before trying any of the others on your list try the TAFM. Awesome fuzz that can stand alone or stack well.

15. Damn, I wish I would've tried this. I JUST sold my Baby Thunder and I got a Solidgold FX Beta.

I keep hearing that. I gotta find a dealer

16. I'm gonna go to Dunable this weekend!
    In the possibility that I love it, is there a difference in terms of which helps you out more as a small business via vendor or direct? If time is not a factor, of course, which it may not be

rratajski likes this.
  17. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Black arts Pharaoh or supreme pharaoh .it's loosely based on the Muff, but has much more pronounced mids, and more low end than you'll know what to do with. Very versatile as well. The Supreme just gives you a few more tonal options than the standard pharaoh, but has the same tone .just more tweakable.

18. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    Monetarily, it always benefits the maker when you buy direct the most, BUT makers want to see their dealers succeed too, so please support Dunable.

Antonio Argenis likes this.
  19. You got it!
    If and when I find something, hopefully I can take my RT off my board long enough for that rehousing I inquired about a while back.

rratajski likes this.
  20. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    BAT makes some sweet stuff, almost scored a Pharaoh used. Got their Black Forest used though which is a sweet boost/OD/Fuzz circuit, it's a modded clone of the old Colorsound OD which is a rare 70's transistor based dirt circuit. Has a super wide gain range from clean boost to splatty fuzz and a great low/high eq. I tend to use it at lower gain settings and stack it with other dirt, but it can sound great cranked too. Also very low noise IME.

Antonio Argenis and Lammchop93 like this.