1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Another Fuzz Quest

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Antonio Argenis, Dec 8, 2018.

1. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Jule-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    Been playing with the Way Huge Swollen Pickle a bit lately, not on your list but potentially helpful nonetheless:

Stevorebob likes this.
  2. I've tried this one, and I really considered it, but I always feel it's missing something.

Not a part of this quest, but I just ordered a EQD Westwood and Bit Commander. Hoping these two close the gap in the range of sound I'm going for. If they do what I'm hoping for, it really may be just up to finding the right fuzz to be "done"

3. J-Mags

J-Mags Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2018
    Durham NC
    Do yourself a favor and spring for a $20 Behringer Super Fuzz. To me, it has cut and subharmonic that Muffs don't have. It's a for real great fuzz, and although it's a Boss Hyper-Fuzz clone, it's a good introduction to Superfuzz land. You might find that you like it as is, you might find that you want to go for a Buzz or another Superfuzz style pedal. Either way it'll cost no more than $25, it'll focus your thinking, it'll have a ton of low end and it's a pretty great fuzz in its own right.

None of my boutique fuzzes that I bought for Baritone guitar sound good on bass. I have a Carcosa as well, which is a great pedal with plenty of low end. I find that its upper mids kind of impinge on the guitar's frequency range in my band, but in a different mix or could be the ticket.

4. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    I’ve tried a butt-ton of fuzzes and this is the fuzz rules them all.

02553098-92B5-4FDE-A7C3-EF01667A4EC6.

Fuzzfarmer and jazznrick like this.
  5. vincent69

vincent69 Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2012
    Lausanne, Switzerland
    For sure Dunwich Wizard does rule !!
    I've got the big box version.

Matt Dean likes this.
  6. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    The big box is killer. Maybe the best enclosure ever. I love the way the Wizard sounds... so stoner, so psychedelic.

7. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    3 leaf doom is a nice one. Has a way at being articulate in the mix.

8. Ale C

Ale C

Dec 25, 2018
    You mentioned the Duality, which might be what I buy next, but I'd recommend Darkglass' Microtubes X7, which is a ridiculous distortion pedal I use every chance I get. It splits the bass signal in two (High frequency and low frequency) It distorts the highs and compresses the lows, leaving them clean. and the high pass filter, when it's turned all the way counter clockwise is the fuzz sound which is ferocious. It also has a 4 band EQ so you can dial in whatever. I had the same problem you're having and this pedal fixed everything.

9. I second 3 leaf doom for it being in the mix although I found I could never get a Great Wall of fuzz setting for it...

I now use the bead fuzz, based off the diabolik in some ways but smaller with more controls over the eq plus a proper clean blend... octave up synth bite with low boom!

10. Damn, this might be the way to go.
    I'm going to hit Reverb for one of these. Also, exactly what I wanted to know: whether i wanted to go to superfuzz land!
    Thank you!

J-Mags likes this.
  11. vincent69

vincent69 Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2012
    Lausanne, Switzerland
    Indeed !

AD9C1454-18D0-4B85-82FB-E6085E18F05A. 9625B81E-4E81-4E54-8991-4674D44D47D3.

Matt Dean likes this.