Another G&L vs Geddy question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fredj, Sep 5, 2005.

1. Hi Bassmaniacs

I was about to order a Geddy jazz when a friend told me that i can have a US G&L L2000 for 850 CAN$ The bass is 2 or 3 years old and in perfect shape. I can get the brand new Geddy for 1000CAN$ Where should i put my money.

Many thanks to all
  2. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Honestly I would check if its a tribute First.
    What do you like JAzz neck or P neck? Don't like wide neck you wont like the G&L. If neck seizes don't bother you then. You're lucky and I wish I wasn't picky like you:D

3. It's a US for sure. I dont like the neck of the G&L but the tone is superb. As for the Geddy the tone is ok but the neck is awsome. And i wish not to be so picky!!!
  4. ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    Get the G & L, then get a graphite neck for it, or a neck from warmoth (wood). I've also seen geddy necks floating around that you could pick up.
  5. Winston TK

Winston TK Hairpiece Adventurer

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    Hey, fredj.

I seem to recall earlier posts of yours which brought up your dilemma regarding the Geddy Lee Jazz. The issue was that you couldn't track one down to try out first. This is always a real drag, as I'm sure you'll agree.

Although I now make my home in Vancouver, BC, believe it or not, for 20 years I lived in Chambly, PQ, practically right next to you. On one of my recent trips back there, I was pleased to see that Le Palais De La Musique on Boul. Seminaire in St. Jean was still in business. They were great for being able to order virtually anything commercially available in North America. Unfortunately, their in-store inventory was always a bit of a disappointment (and still is). No doubt you have already checked them out.

Finding a Geddy Lee in a store in the Montreal area shouldn't be a problem, but unfortunately it is. I was just in town last month and was very disappointed to see that even Steve's didn't have one in stock.

For G&L, on the other hand, the true mecca is, of course, Italmelodie. They have one of the very best bass departments in all of Canada (and I've been to many). If you haven't done so already, make the pilgrimage there (right near the Jean Talon Metro) and try out their product line of G&L's. Of course, if you've already tried out your friend's, then you have an idea of what that bass has to offer.

As far as comparisons, the GL and the G&L, among other things, have very different feels. The thinness of the Geddy Lee's neck is its primary signature quality, making it quite unique in the bass field. The G&L's, though, have great tonal possibilities because of the extra controls (and beefier humbucking pickups).

I own a Geddy Lee Jazz and it's an absolutely phenomenal bass, quickly becoming my number one session choice. I don't have much experience with G&L's, though, other than a few in-store trials.

Please try to track down both models of bass you are considering before making any final decisions, if possible. It requires a bit more patience. But, $850.00 CAD and $1000.00 CAD are both large sums of hard-earned cash, even if one appears to be a great deal relatively speaking.

Good luck with the search, and please continue to keep us posted!
  6. Winston TK

Winston TK Hairpiece Adventurer

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada

Upon re-reading your original post I see that you already seem to have tried out both basses. Right on.

Your dilemma now appears to be the age-old one of playability vs. tone (with a bit of pricing factored in).

There is no stock answer here, unfortunately. This is pure subjective territory. However, I think that if the G&L has a tone that you prefer, and it is $150.00 CAD cheaper, this may be the route to go. Plus, I would think that the G&L is tonally a more versatile bass overall.

Maybe review the numerous Geddy Lee vs. G&L message strings on this board to get more comparitive opinions.
  7. invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    $1000CAD is too much for a Geddy Lee sig. Try to find one for $800.
  8. that's 869 + 15% tax. You think i can get better?
  10. invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    My bad, I didn't think you were counting tax on that.