Another GC "rant"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lbbc, May 14, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lbbc

lbbc

Sep 25, 2007
    Seaford , DE
    I've read negative comments about GC here on TB and have been leary to deal with them to say the least. Anyway, I've been looking for a Timothy B Schmidt Carvin bass for a while. I saw one on the GC website, so I called. The representative said to call the specific store where it was on sale. I did so and the salesman said he didn't even know they had that particular model and put me on hold for over 5 minutes. He came back and raved about the condition and playability of the bass. I told him I would move around money from savings and call right back. I called back and was told the bass just sold to someone who had it on layaway.... I call BS!!! I will NEVER even look at their website again based on this experience!!!

spaz21387 likes this.
  2. 5544

Dec 1, 2015
    Rule #1: First person with cash in hand gets to buy the item.
    Rule #2: If you want an item, refer to Rule #1.

3. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    I wonder if he failed to notice it was on layaway or he's now playing his new Carvin bass. They shouldn't list if on layaway.

Herrick, backin82, Ghastly and 8 others like this.
  4. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Would have been nice to say something during the first phone call.
    That's whatcha get for minimum wage.

Dug2, spaz21387, ajkula66 and 4 others like this.
  5. lbbc

lbbc

Sep 25, 2007
    Seaford , DE
    That was my thought as well

BadExample likes this.
  6. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    Talk about rage that is far in excess of the crime!!! He probably just did not notice that the thing was in layaway...a somewhat honest mistake. But, to NEVER do business with them again, they are probably the lucky ones.

Last edited: May 14, 2017
    corndog, bobba66, Glazenn and 14 others like this.
  7. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

We've all heard of businesses "firing" troublesome customers. Is "self-firing" a thing now? lol

ToneMonkey likes this.
  8. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Bring Back Edit/Delete Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    When I called to buy something it was no longer available. How dare they?

What was GC supposed to do with your story about getting your ducks in a row and calling right back?

japhy4529, Ace Of Bass, 5544 and 2 others like this.
  9. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I don't know how to respond to this.

It's annoying and possibly a slight inconvenience for making phone calls and moving funds around, but the bottom line is the items are for sale. First person that actually buys gets it. It's nothing to boycott a store over!

gregmon79, Leiria, Joe Nerve and 4 others like this.
  10. lbbc

lbbc

Sep 25, 2007
    Seaford , DE
    Works for me! An honest mistake.... I really can't buy that argument

11. lbbc

lbbc

Sep 25, 2007
    Seaford , DE
    I realize they are in business to sell music gear. Seems strange to be told it was on layaway as an excuse. Someone put it on layaway and paid it off in 10 minutes? Don't buy that excuse.

Ghastly and spaz21387 like this.
  12. Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse

Jan 21, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    If he really did buy it for himself, that's kind of crappy of him. And if it actually was on layaway then it definitely shouldn't be listed. Either way, it's a bummer.

lbbc likes this.
  13. aaronious

aaronious

May 23, 2011
    Denver CO
    Exactly. To never do business with a company because of a simple mistake is just silly. Especially since you didn't even have the money. Sounds too me like you just wanna jump on the GC hate train purely for the thrill of it. What ever floats your boat.

14. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Suspended Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    Why would you buy a bass from GC to begin with..:jawdrop::rolleyes:

15. Bodeanly

Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    IMG_3756.JPG

jamro217, japhy4529, ak56 and 9 others like this.
  16. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Instead of boycotting GC, I'd just make sure I always had the money to buy another piece of gear in my checking account, which would have solved your problem.

Oh wait, I always buy using a credit card, because I get cash back.

17. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    Didn't really expect you to understand...now or ever.

18. Hounddog409

Hounddog409

Oct 27, 2015
    ohio
    Right, because there Are not hundreds, if not thousands, of people in the world on their web site right now.

You should have put it on layaway when you where on the phone the first time.

Your fault.

19. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Are any of these negative stories involving Guitar Center or Sam Ash really a shock to anyone these days?

I recognize that TalkBass is often used as a soapbox for rants... but if negative tales about big box music stores have become commonplace, then why do any of us consider doing business with them in the first place?

There are other stores to shop at... especially for those who live in a city big enough to have a Guitar Center or Sam Ash.

20. DavC

DavC

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    i call BS also ... having worked in a few music stores ...

an item that IS in LayAway ... is Not available For Sale ..!!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.