1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Another GC thread (sorry)- "Shop wear" on a "New" MIA Precision- (kind of long)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by officialjlox, May 13, 2010.

1. So I dropped by GC on a whim earlier today, looking to spend some quality time with some MIA P's and decide between those and the highway 1. I've been struggling with this decision for a while, so I figured a good few hours with the instrument will help me decide.

So I'm looking through the basses and I only see one MIA. Black/white/maple. Pick her up, play it, compare it to a MIM and a classic 50s, etc etc.

By now I've worked through half the wall of P Basses, and I see one all the way in the back of the row, almost hidden behind an amp stack. Lo and behold: My dream bass. Oly white MIA P. Grabbed it off the shelf and sat down with her, only to notice the following:

1- no knobs. Not a big deal, some d00sh probably swiped them.
    2- 2 small dings, and a few minor scratches on the back.
    3- Small dings on the neck, spanning from the headstock to about the 4th fret. The only way I can describe these is it looked like someone had long finger nails and dug their nails in pretty hard (it would have to be considerable pressure to make indents on the wood like that)
    4- small crack in the finish near the neck pocket.

I immediately got excited, called over the employee who knows me by name now, as I'm in there every week playing different things. I showed him the imperfections, and he said that there's definitely some "shop wear" and he will take it to his manager to see what they can do about it. He said he will give me a call back later this afternoon.

Here's my question, in two parts:

1- How much should I expect them to knock off the price due to these imperfections? Given, none of them broke the finish, and they didn't affect playability, but I was surprised to see it on a "new" instrument. I'm hoping for them to come down to $1000 even, from the $1199 list price. Is this unreasonable?

2- If they don't give me much off, do I have any leverage to negotiate further? For example, what I think my biggest concern is how would the finish in the neck pocket crack like that from normal show room play? Doesn't that imply someone taking the neck off or doing some sort of more serious work on it than just noodling around the show room?

Let me know if I am totally off the mark here, or what I should expect to hear when this guy calls me back.

PS: I forgot to mention that I absolutely love the bass. I'm considering putting it on layaway and paying it off regardless of their decision, but I would like some sort of decent discount for the wear on it.

2. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    Personally, I'd laugh and say "come on, be serious" for anything over $1k, and try and haggle comfortably below that.

3. standupright

standupright

Jul 7, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Brownchicken Browncow
    if you're not embarrassed by what you are negotiating, then you aren't asking low enough.

4. I'm on the GC site looking under used gear, and seeing MIA P's and J's listed right around 800-900. Maybe I could use that as a reference point

5. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    Sounds like you could find a used Oly white MIA P in better condition for less money....

6. When the employee calls back, should I arrange to meet with the manager to discuss it directly? I feel as if haggling should be done face to face, with the ol "do it for this much and i'll lock it up right now." line.

7. I've been looking. Closest I've come was a white MIA on the bay for 1k even.

I'm looking for the recent models with the new bridges/tuners, not to mention I do like to play it before I drop that kind of cash.

Plus, the layaway option is really helpful, and I'll be relying on that if this deal goes through.

8. standupright

standupright

Jul 7, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Brownchicken Browncow
    face to face and have cash in hand (not credit or check) ready to lay down.

9. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    There's one on the classifieds here. The guy has it listed for $950, shipped, in a HSC. It's an '08.

10. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I'm stunned the salesguy let you walk... he must not want to sell that bass. A good salesman would have made that deal *happen*. There's *always* a floor manager, someone who can make a decision...

There's no way they'd lose money, but they should have been able to give you a decent deal. I guess GC has become even worse, what with this "no negotiation" thing...

Look - if you really dig the bass - how it PLAYS - then just buy it. Layaway? WHY? Just buy it if you have the funds. Layaway deals are never as good - offer them $750 and see what they do - right then, right there. What's the absolute worst that can happen?

11. Considering its guitarcenter Ide say there gonna be kinda of firm on there price but here are a couple things that I would do If i were in your position.

First Ide i would insult them lol by saying I cant believe how careless and clueless you guys are with your instruments leaving something like this on your shelves and having no idea the condition it is in. And then say Ill give you mmmm I dont know try maybe $900 for it. If they dont budge say $950. If they still dont then I dont know where to go from there lol sorry. But if your willing to pay the price there asking then go for it.

12. Well color me stupid....

Let me see where I can get with the GC folks, since I would much rather prefer layaway. Who am I kidding? I need to do layaway.

13. That's the thing. I don't have the funds. I wasn't planning on buying anything within the next few weeks, but I saw the wear on this one and smelled blood.

Regardless I'd need to layaway it because I was realistically looking to make this purchase in about a month. But if I can get a deal why not?

14. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    As I told you, Andrew (GeneralElectric) is selling a brand new one here. Im guessing thats the one he is talking about. Very good guy, great do deal with.

Good luck man! Well love to have you back! ;)

15. I was wondering how long it would take you to sniff out the "Precision" in this post lol.

Yeah, I expressed some interest in GE's thread for his, but I'm curious to see where I can get with this.

16. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Hey, I'm the guy with it listed in the classifieds. Shoot me a PM if you'd like since you're local.

17. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Man I gotta refresh these pages more often...

18. Knobs are 20$ for correct USA ones, the little dings no biggie if you really paid attention to most basses at guitar stores alot have tiny clear coat dings somewhere it almost impossible not to with all the traffic.

Now neck pockey cracks happen fairly common on fenders, but little tiny ones in the clear or finish , really check that out it should be super minor. If your concerned about it ,pass on it.

19. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    At the risk of being "that guy", if this ^^ is the case, you shouldn't be buying.

20. Yep. I know. It happens.