Another gear question.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Theodeus, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Theodeus

Jan 18, 2004
    Well, this isn't a specific bass question, but rather an overall gear question. Or request of opinions or whatever.

The thing is I've figured out that I've made a lot of money (for being a student) this summer and was thinking of upgrading my equipment. So I started looking att basses. The American Deluxe Jazz QMT looked realy tasty to me. ;) But then I started thinking, maybe I should go for an stingray and upgrade my amp too?

I'm currently playing a Yamaha BB605 trough a lousy Behringer Ultrabass 1200. Oh, I almost forgott my sansamp :scowl: . So what I play is mostly rock, but then it happens from time to time that I play both jazz and other stuff.

The amp with the stingray I was thinking of would be a Kustom Groovebass 1200 head (heard alot about it) or perhaps a Carvin 1500-E head (anyone played one, 'cos I haven't...) and then buy a cab later (I can loan one meanwhile)

To straighten things out, which option should suit me best? And if you're a fan of stingrays, which head to go with it?

Thanks for puting up with my english and reading it all :hyper:
  2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    For me, doing rock especially, a Stingray through a Gallien-Krueger rig was perfect. I've since switched to Fenders almost exclusively and the GK is still great for me.
  3. Theodeus

Jan 18, 2004
    Hmm... started to think some more.... How 'bout just buying a poweramp (and use the sansamp as a preamp) and a cab to that stingray?
  4. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Well you're already thinking about getting a Musicman, so you're on the right track there in my eyes. :)
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Forget the Stingray. The Jazz QMT is much more versatile. I own both these basses, and the 'Ray gets gigged once a year, if that, while the Jazz goes almost every time.
  6. primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    The american deluxe jazz/p bass are amazing.

I would go the QMT Jazz no question.
  7. Theodeus

Jan 18, 2004
    Oh, sorry. Make that QMT a FMT... My bad. :bag: