Another general, stupid thread by KrazzyJoe...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by KrazzyJoe, Nov 17, 2004.

1. KrazzyJoe

Jul 31, 2003
    I know there is probably a sticky with all this info hidden around here somewhere, so I apologize beforehand.

I need a new amp. I'd like to go as high quality as I can without breaking the bank. I'm hoping to get a job soon and christmas is coming up, as is graduation. I've been using a tiny, miniscule, embarassing Crate 15w combo for ages, since I started playing. Now it's time to move up. I have a gig coming up at the end of the school year and after that my band should be moving onto bigger and better things outside of high school. I really would like something nice for this. I was looking at Ampeg, but I really know little to nothing on the subject. I need as much range as possible, as loud as possible, with as little price considering these things. My style varies greatly as does the genres in which I play. We have two to three guitarists, though, so I have alot to get through.

I do not know which cab works with which head, which is best, which is more important-could I get a good quality cab and than buy a lower quality head if I couldn't get funds in time?
  2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    my rule of thumb is to get at an amp that will put at least 100 watts into the cabinet that you are using (200 watts is better, 400 is ideal, but i'm being realistic in terms of your budget). as far as cabinets go, you should have a minimum of a 1x12, or 1x15, or 2x10. IMO, if you have to skimp on one, get a better cabinet and a cheaper head, (you can always upgrade later), and don't be afraid to look at used gear as long as you have someone who knows what they are doing help you check it out. of course, a combo is also an option, as long as it meets the minimum wattage/speaker configuration outlined above. getting a combo that allows you to use an extension speaker is good idea if possible, as that will allow you to upgrade later if you need more volume without scrapping the combo in order to do so. try as much stuff as you can, and let your ears be the judge.
  3. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    If you are serious about moving on to bigger and better things, I wouldn't consider a combo. It's true that if you play a big gig that has a PA, you can get away with it, but when it comes to rehearsal time, you'll just frustrate yourself. Like Ivan, I would consider 400W a minimum power output. The rule of thumb is to have four times the power output of the guitarists you're playing with, and most of the buggers use at least 100W amps. Again, depending on your specific needs and the people you're playing with, you can get around this, but I would start with that as a goal and then compensate as your situation and budget dictate. It would be impossible to describe the way that all the major brands sound, so the best thing you can do is go to the local music store and try a few head/cab combinations out. Get a feel for what you like, and then start asking questions:

1) What other heads or cabs are similar to the ones that I like?
    2) Is/are the ones I like too expensive? Can I find them used for less? (definitely recommend going used)
    3) What features do I need or like on a head (i.e. parametric EQ, XLR out, effects, etc.)?

Things like this will help narrow down your search. Feel free to ask around here for specific information; there's more knowledge here than anyone could ever use, but it's difficult to give a complete answer to such a broad dilemma. Good luck, and happy hunting!