Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another Gollihur Kudo

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Paul Warburton, Feb 8, 2004.

1. To make a long story short...I sent a couple really good German bows away to be sold on consignment. Leaving me with nothing. After hearing all those stories about Edgar Myer using those ugly cheapo French bows, I figured i'd look for the least expensive wood German bow I could find. It turned out to be an octagon Brazil wood bow offered by Bob for $148 including shipping. I basically just wanted this bow as something temporary while shopping for a decent middle of the road bow.
    Upon receiving the bow, I thought he made a mistake! Octagonal, nice tip. straight as an arrow, leather/silver wire grip, ebony frog with inlaid abalone dot, abalone frog slide and a nice, balanced feel producing a really good sound!
    It's a good feeling to get something without scrutinizing it and have it exceed your expectations....Thanks Bob!

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Cool, I was wondering about those. Bob don't sell no crap.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've got the same bow in the French variety and must agree, it's a sweet bow, one of the nicest I've ever played (I'm a newbie, so shoot me! but they sure are nice)

Bob sure has earned the title "All Hail" Gollihur

4. contrabajisimo

contrabajisimo

Feb 9, 2004
    Chicago
    Do you guys have the pics of those? How much hair do they have and does it STAY? Thanks.

5. Karim, just imagine a nice dark Brazil wood, ....It's seems to me the Brazil is a little darker red than Pernambuco...., octagonal stick, with a really nice curve and a silver wire and leather grip. I have the German frog with an abalone in-laid dot. I don't see how they could put more hair on!

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Couldn't have said it better. Unfortunately it's at school at the moment... so this is all I have:

[​IMG]

Plenty of hair, and it stays!

7. contrabajisimo

contrabajisimo

Feb 9, 2004
    Chicago
    Thanks man, I might look into getting one of these.

8. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    got one myself...Lots of bow for the buck !

9. josh_m

josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    I have to agree that they are great, I used to have one and it was stolen recently. My teacher gave me a replacement to use until I can afford a new one and I hate playing with it.

10. pathdoc2

pathdoc2

Oct 16, 2002
    Allen, TX
    I also purchased a bow from Bob and couldn't be happier. Thanks. Bob is as honest as the day is long. :)

11. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Word. Imagine if you could find a doctor, car mechanic, or whatever with the professional ethics of Bob Gollihur.

12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Too late, already found the mechanic. :eyebrow:

13. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Actually, so did I, just a couple weeks back. Lucky us.

14. pathdoc2

pathdoc2

Oct 16, 2002
    Allen, TX
    Hey I'm a doctor and I'm honest. Honest. :)

15. azflyman

azflyman

Apr 24, 2004
    Astoria, OR
    If you are what your alias implies I don't want you working on me!

az, RN

16. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    To be honest, I just found a really good personal physician as well, so maybe I was a bit too cynical in my earlier post.

Or maybe I just shoulda said politician .

17. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Oooo... I'm lucky too! Bought my french one a couple weeks back and showed it to me teacher last night. He liked it and agreed that it was a fine first bow for me. All Hail Bob!

18. Scot

Scot Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2004
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    I have to chime in as I've just bought one of (all hail) Bob's brazilwood German bows. The bow sounds ten times better than the one I've been renting. I knew it would sound better but I'm shocked as to how much better it sounds. Also, I ordered the bow late on a Thursday night, Bob shipped it out the following Friday and the FedEx guy was at my door with the bow the following Saturday morning. I wasn't expecting it until sometime the following week so, naturally, that made my weekend.

-Scot

19. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    I just got a French one last week. I had my first lesson with my new teacher (symphony player), although i'm a complete arco newbie, i'm sure this bow is a lot better than any other one that i could have bought for the same price.

all in all, bob's (all hail!) is the best!

20. apfroggy0408

apfroggy0408

Jan 21, 2004
    texas
    where can we get these Bob bows??