1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Another group wants my lead singer to perform with them.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Spenser, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Spenser

Spenser

Jan 12, 2013
    Does anyone have any advice on how to handle this type of situation?

2. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Hmm. More details please? Are you a cover band or an originals band? Is your lead singer a founding member, recent replacement, main songwriter or?? How do your band mates feel about it?

3. You own the singer? You call the singer My....
    Your singer is free to do what they please if it doesn't interfere with your band unless you are on a label and he is under contract.
    We get very get territorial in bands and I know people who will not play with folks in multiple bands. I feel the opposite as long as they do don't double book themselves and change their schedule because a better paying gig came up, the more people your band mates play with the better they become as musicians and if your band is truly their home they will always come back to it.

4. Yep, need more info. For me, I am in my 40s, have a good job, great family, play in a cover band just for fun. My current band is probably the best band I have been in both in regards to talent and attitude. We probably average 12 gigs a year. So for me it would be no big deal if my singer wanted more work, experience, exposure whatever. As long as we did not have a gig on the books that would cause a conflict, no big deal for me.
    Now if I was in an original band and he was taking our original material and working it up with another band, I would probably have an issue with that.

5. You must have just finished assembling fancy promo-packs complete with professional group photos... ;)

6. Fire him.

Oh wait, that comes later.

But seriously, unless "your" lead singer is obliged somehow to your band, you should probably be prepared for unpleasantness breaking out. If your singer is any good that is. Need a lot more detail to give any advice on properly managing the situation.

7. I agree. +10

8. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Book enough great paying gigs and the potential problem goes away.

9. TreySonagras

TreySonagras

Aug 11, 2013
    Texas
    Back in the 80's I played in a band that just suddenly stopped gigging. The leader didn't book anything and never said anything to me. The band just hibernated. I moved on to another gig and forgot about them. About a year later I get a call from the guy that we had a gig booked the following weekend and gave me the call time and what to wear. I told him I already had a gig that night and he went ballistic on me for bailing on his band. All he heard from me was "click"

10. Yes - of course. :D

11. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

I played is up to 6 bands at the same time in the 80's... clear communication is important as is scheduling, all band knew about the others and one night was fun i played in the opender, the support and the headliner!

Is there really an issue?

12. Advice? on what are you afraid he will leave?
    Ask him what his long term intentions are, if it will interfere in your project and be supportive just as you would want hom to be if you had a side project with someone else.

13. strangepolly

strangepolly

Sep 10, 2013
    I play in 3 bands and am auditioning next week for #4. so what. don't be insecure about it, like several before me mentioned fill his schedule and he wont have time for side gigs or just let him do both.

14. bggeezer

bggeezer Guest

May 25, 2001
    uk
    Unless he sets fire to the pocket in which you keep 'your singer'!

15. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Uh ... it ain't yours to handle. Whatever your lead singer wants to do is HIS business. Unless you're paying him to be exclusive to your band you have no say. Force his hand and he might just bail on your band. I know I did that more than once when the BL thought he had an exclusive on me.

16. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    I've had similar experiences. And handled 'em the same way ... ;)

17. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    None of your business, really-sorry if I'm being blunt here.
    It's up to him and them I recon.

Unless you have him under contract, that is.(or her)

18. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    Is it a one time performance or do they want the lead singer to join their band? It really doesn't matter. The lead singer (unless he or she is under contract), like most musicians are free to come and go as they please.

19. Joedog

Joedog

Jan 28, 2010
    Pensacola FL
    You could chain/shackle him down in your basement and only let him out for your gigs. But there is a chance he may react poorly.

20. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    There is nothing for me to say.