Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another happy La Scala owner/recording DBs?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by MtnGoat, Feb 23, 2006.

1. MtnGoat

MtnGoat

May 7, 2000
    MA/NH
    I just got my New Standard La Scala bass last week and have really been enjoying it. This bass plays so nicely that it has made me a better player.

For those of you who record DBs, what is your mic technique? My bass is equipped with a realist pickup and I have a large diaphram condenser mic, but I have so far been unhappy with my recording sound. My best results were with the mic about 2 feet from the bass and 16" off the ground and a separate track recording the realist signal. Any suggestions? The sound I got had a lot of fingerboard and string noise, and I would like to capture more "body."

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Congratulations on yer new axe - I concur about it improving the playing of the owner instantly. As Marcus once said, welcome to the big ****-eatin' grin club. :)

As far as recording, you'll just have to experiment. My studio setup and clips can be found Here, and the at home setup is basically just a cheaper version of the same idea. It works for me, but I notice that each person that plays the bass gets a completely different sound out of it, and what works for me sometimes sounds less than great for another person with a different attack. If you play really forcefully (I do) and with high tension strings, you'll likely need all of that space between your bass and mic like you have now. If you play more lightly, you can often bring the mic in closer.

Two things come immediately to mind:

1) Every time I record with a mic and a direct, I always ditch the direct, so I've just stopped doing it. It always seems to add a glassy/rubbery compressed sound that I don't care for, and almost always adds string noise. Have you tried mic only?

2) When I'm in the studio, the guy who recorded the stuff I linked to crawled around on the floor while I played trying to find the sweet spot for the mic. You can't do that, but if you have a decent monitoring chain, you can play and listen through your phones while instructing someone else about how to place the mic. I've found that when the diaphragm is tilted up towards the FB, it pickes up more string noise, and when it's tilted down, it tends to get more body. Keep experimenting, and good luck.

3. Congratulations on the LaScala Ross. You'll never regret this purchase. Did you get a hybrid or laminated?

4. MtnGoat

MtnGoat

May 7, 2000
    MA/NH
    Thanks, Steve.
    The bass is a laminated bass. I love not only the sound, but also the look and feel of this bass.

5. MtnGoat

MtnGoat

May 7, 2000
    MA/NH
    Hey Chris,
    Thanks for the info. One thing I like to do with two separate signals is to add a small dose of reverb to the piezo signal while keeping the mic signal dry. This gives the sound a little atmosphere without muddying up the low end.

6. larry

larry Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2004
    Florida
    Like Chris said, forget the pick up. Work on mic placement and, just as importantly, the room you record in. You need a room with the right balance of reflection and absorbtion - especially with a sensitive, large-diaphragm condenser.

7. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Has anyone compared the La Scala to the Wan Bernadels? They're both advertised on the side here and in the same price range. Just curious?

Louis

8. MtnGoat

MtnGoat

May 7, 2000
    MA/NH
    I finally got to take the LaScala out on a jazz gig. I plugged it into one of my live rigs (Aguilar DB680 into SWR poweramp + BagEnd 2x10 cabinet). The parametric EQ on the Aguilar made it easy to pull down feedback frequencies, while maintaining the character of the instrument. The bass sounded great.