Another Happy QSC Owner!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by KPJ, Jun 13, 2005.

1. KPJ

KPJ Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    Well, I was in need of a power amp and was considering my options. I usually run direct and have a good monitor mix on stage so I do not require an amp for most of my gigs. I have a Pearce BC-1 and a Sonic Maximizer in a Gator rack bag which works and sounds great. When I do need some extra stage monitoring, I have an Acoustic 450, or an old Sunn Coliseum Slave with either a Joe's 15 or Avatar 212.

Well, my band has some higher profile gigs coming up, some of which are outdoors. Plus, we were serving as the host band for an awards show yesterday where I had to supply the bass amp that two other bands would be playing through. I was going to use my Sunn, but even though it sounds good, it is over 30 years old and could have some more power. I was thinking of getting a Stewart Audio 1.2 and putting it in my 3-space rack with the Pearce. I figured it is only 11 pounds, so no big deal if I'm always dragging it around, even to gigs where I did not need it. The only problem, I didn't have $600 handy to buy one in time.

So, crunch time. It is now Saturday and I am unsure of what amp to use. I'm tempted by a certain Chinese made German brand that will go nameless here, simply for the price/power issue. However, GC is the nearest retailer that would have it, and I have this gnawing feeling that I'll hate myself in the morning if I bought one. I decide to go to one of the local single store music shops who do a lot of PA rental business, figuring I'll rent a power amp for the show. I get to the store, and in front of their small display of PA speakers is a stack of QSC amps. A PLC1602, RMX850, RMX2450 and a RMX3200 (?). I notice the specs on the side of the RMX850 that it does bridge to 4 ohms at 830 watts (my Avatar is 4ohm). I have seen the 850 discussed favorably here and I know a number of TB'rs have one. Then I relize that it is $299 with a 6 year warranty, and figure, no way to go wrong.

Well, to sum up a long post, I bought the QSC, used it for the show Sunday, was surprised and relieved to find out that the sound man was not going to mike or take a DI from the amps and use only stage volume. The show was at the Palace Theater in Manchester, NH, which is a medium sized venue. We did our soundcheck as was told I had to turn down! The Pearce volume was at 3! I then settled in and watched the first band play, their bassist playing an Onyx Bongo (sweet!) through my rig, and it sounded great! Glad to report that I am happy with my rig for at least a week now! :hyper:
  2. Other than the weight, there is no downside to the RMX line, IMO. I scored an RMX-850 that my daughter's band uses in their rehearsal space. I use it for a wedge monitor amp when need be.

I own (3) PLX and the RMX, and none have ever required use of the warranty. I'd like to find an RMX-1850HD...
  3. KPJ

KPJ Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    I'm hoping to never use the warranty, either. The store I bought the amp at has had the same QSC power amp as one of its rentals for 20 years, without an issue! That's a pretty impressive feat when you consider the abuse rental gear can get. Yes, the 850 is heavier than I would like, but reputation, price, power et al make it a "Peace Of Mind" investment!
  4. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

QSC = built like a tank !!
    can't go wrong with that power amp , bet that rig sounds awesome ...

BTW , kudo's for not buying the other power amp ...;)
  5. KPJ

KPJ Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    Sometimes a man gets desperate... :ninja: :eek:

And yes, my rig sounds better than I expected! It's funny, I happened upon the Pearce, the Avatar and the QSC all by accident. Total cost for the rig: $599 (Pearce $150, Avatar $150, QSC $299). BANG FOR THE BUCK! :hyper:

:bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:
  6. My RMX-850 came used at $135 including shipping. I happened to be in the right place (eBay) at the right time when the auction ended and nobody was interested. Most of the time, RMX-850 sell in the $199 area. I've gotten all four of my QSC amps this way. It takes a long time, but the deals occur if one is patient.

Staying modular allows you to move up without replacing your amp. This is important, because buying new, then selling at used prices is financially painful. Buying new, and keeping it for a very long time gets the most from your investment. Some items are best purchased new and held forever. Others are OK used.

I find that having multiple speaker cabs is another key to being modular. You can mix 'n match as required for a specific gig. Multiple small cabs are more flexible, plus easier for geezers to move than one large one.
  7. KPJ

KPJ Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    Yeah, I'm trying to be as modular and flexible as possible. The 212 is my main speaker cab, but I also have two 15" cabs with different characteristics, one with a tweeter and a tube style port, the other just the 15" with a bottom port. Both are 8 ohms. The flexibility that having multiple cabs with different impedances and a two channel power amp capable of being operated bridged, with two independent channels or with a single input to two outputs makes me ready for just about any situation.
  8. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Cool! Be sure to register online at the QSC web site to get the free extended warranty.

I was just in Manchester, NH last week. I just got back yesterday from visiting family and friends throughout New England and New York. It was good to be "back home," but I sure got reacquainted with humidity! ;)
  9. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    I just baught a QSC RMX2450. I picked it over the Behringer EP2500. Even though the behringer was $300 less I felt better that I'd get a quality piece of equipment over a cheaply made one. Stealing intellectual property is wrong that's another reason why I made my decision.

Thanks Bob It's a fine product.
  10. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I owned an RMX850 for several years and never had problems with it. The guy who bought it is probably still using it! ;) Sounds like you got a good deal, too.