Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another "Have you tried this?" thread from me. Aguilar GS 212

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mike, Dec 4, 2002.

1. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    I'm going thru a serious dilemma with cabs right now and am pretty focused on the Aguilar 212. I live in the backwoods and do not have the luxury of trying most things out before buying. Anyone own(ed) or tried this cab? Tell me about it... You have my undivided attention. For reference, I have an Eden WT 300 I will be powering it with and it will be my only cab for small to mid size places.

Thx,

Mike

2. Actually, I'm curious as well. I would also want to ask how it compares to the Aguilar 410 and how each compare to the Eden XLTs.

Sorry paleale, I don't mean to sabotage your thread...;) :p

3. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    No thing. These are answers I'd like to know too. Anybody? Help a couple brothers out...

4. dprives

dprives

Apr 22, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    I have an Aguilar GS212 4 Ohm. I run it with a SWR SM-500. It is sweet. I like it better than 210’s. It has more mids and low (duh). Very full clear sound. Before I bought it the guy at the store said that he thinks it is good for playing with fingers or picks but for slapping it can get a little “honky”. I haven’t noticed that too much myself, as I don’t do too much poppin’ and lockin’. If you do a lot of that, I think a 210 might be better though. The tweeter is nice. It’s subtle and not too harsh. All in all a good balance of highs and lows with a nice defined sound. All of this is, of course, my opinion based on my personal preferences.

5. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    Montana
    Never tried the 212 as I live in the sticks too. But, I run a WT-400 through 2-GS112's and love it.

6. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    I'm not much of a slapper, in a couple tunes when necessary but, overall, no. I'm assuming the 12's have heavy low end with but still offer some clarity and punch? 10's are a bit weak at times in the low end frequencies in most cabs I've owned. Do they truly fall between 10's and 15's concerning low end balance and low punch as legend has it? And, do the Aguilars project well?

Thx again...

7. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    Montana
    I feel they do. IMHO, warmer than 10's, more punch than 15's.

I recently played a nightmare of a club. On stage all we could hear was a drone. I asked a friend that was there is he could hear the bass. He said it was the most predominant voice heard.

8. dprives

dprives

Apr 22, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    I wouldn’t say it has a heavy low end, but it has much more low end than a 210. I couldn’t really feel the 210s I played. I can feel the 212s. I’ve owned a 15 combo and a 210 combo and a 2-10/1-18 cab and played lots of others. I think the 12s are the best combination of tones. You get lots of the low end of the 15 without a lot of the mud and some punch of the 210. I can’t really tell you how the 212 projects. I’ve only had it for 1 ½ months and I have only used it at practice so far.

9. Here's my Aguilar 2x12 story: I did an A/B between it and the Eden D-410XLT (which I was using at the time), and in the store (Bass Central), the 2x12 sounded just as big and ballsy. Weighed 28 pounds less, so I sold my Eden and got the 2x12. Come to find that in a loud rock band situation, it didn't quite cut the mustard by itself. I added an Aguilar 2x10 and that solved the problem. The 2x12 is a great cab but, on its own, didn't quite have enough cut for what I needed. As always, YMMV.

10. Hey Dave,

While you were at Bass Central did you have a chance to a/b the Aguilar 410 with the Eden 4x10xlt?

I own a 410xlt and a 210xlt and, while in combination they sound killer, at times and depending on the room I'm playing, the low mids can muddy up the tone just enough to where it's hard to eq a clear, punchy tone. Also, I typically only use one or the other, depending on the size of the room, and I haven't had to use both in combination in about two years. I'm thinking of down grading to just one cabinet and Aguilar, from what I've read, sounds like they have what I'm looking for. Any opinions?

11. Hey Bassin'
    Ya know, I didn't A/B the Eden and Aguilar 4x10s.. I've actually never played through an Aggie 4x10. But I can tell you that my sound is a good bit clearer and cleaner since I switched to the Aguilar cabs. With the 4x10 XLT, things tended to get a little muddy around F# on down. Now I'm playing tuned down to DGCF and the open D is perfectly clear.

12. Thanks Dave,

Yeah, that sounds like what I'm looking for.;)

13. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    I played 10's for years (Genz- Benz) and got good tone, but when I switched over to my 2 Aggie GS112's I couldn't believe how much tone I found out I had been missing. They make my Elrick 5 sound HUGE. Volume-wise, I run a bridged mono SWR SM400s and a BBE maximizer, and I get tremendously loud and clear projection. I know this is a bold statement, but I think I am finally GAS-free.

14. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    I think I am finally GAS-free. [/B][/QUOTE]

What a Zen like sensation that must be! You've reached the final plane...

:)

15. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    sorry to barge in late; just wondering if this thread had any juice left to it...

I'm running 2 GS410's and a GS115, and have been considering sticking a 212 in there somewhere too, so I'm interested in hearing more about it. My tone cleaned up immensely when I switched to Aggies, now I can really hear me. Is that what I sound like? huh. Me likey.

I've been watching ebay lately, missed that last GS212.

Hard to find any to try out down here too, so I appreciate the input. Any further observations on the GS212?

16. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Oh no!! Like being locked up in an empty cube with all white walls. What a horrible thought!!!

:p :D