Another HDTV question

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Ericman197, Apr 8, 2005.

1. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    I bought the home theater audio system and it's now time to get the TV. This is a relatively quick question: is there any reason why not to buy a CRT HDTV over one of the flat screen models? I'm very tempted to go with a Plasma, but could a CRT offer me as good a picture quality? I haven't actually spent much time checking out CRT HDTVs, nor have I even seen one in recent memory. They're very cheap though, and most sites list only weight and size as disadvantages.

Some random notes:

Viewing distance is roughly 6 feet, so it's a minimum of about 26" and a maximum of 40"... I'm aiming for roughly 30" to 34".

This room is sealed off from the outside and viewing will, in all likelihood, be in pitch darkness. As such, glare is not an issue.

Price is roughly $2,000 max.

PC connectivity and gaming possibilities are a bonus, but in no way necessary. This is mainly for DVDs and to a lesser extent TV.
  2. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    It would take me an hour to explain all of the subtle differences between the different technologies...but suffice to say:

CRT still has the best life, viewing angle, and ability to upscale/downscale different resolutions without nasty artifacts (this is quite important when you consider that the 4 top broadcasters DON'T all use the same resolutions).

I would recommend a 16:9 aspect ratio set. Although a large amount of your viewing time will still be spent watching 4:3 aspect programming, the effect of having the widescreen for DVD and digital television signals is well worth it.

Get used to black bars. It's likely you'll be seeing them a lot. On the sides of your 16:9 set when viewing 4:3 broadcasts, on the top and bottom when viewing typical 2:1 (non-reformatted) movies, etc.

We've all gotten very used to viewing things formatted for the 4:3 TV screen, but the truth be told, much is lost to the "pan-and-scan" technique used when reformatting movies to 4:3.

You can often see a director's work almost completely destroyed in some movie scenes where people are sitting across from each other at a table...I'll take black bars any day, if I get to see ALL of the original movie print.

If you can find a CRT set that fits your needs, it's still by far the better TV set technology, until further notice (although it may not impress your friends as much as something hanging on the wall - BFD).

Major broadcaster resolutions (all are within the ATSC spec):

NBC: 1080i
    CBS: 1080i
    ABC: 780P
    FOX: 480P

Make sure that you don't get EDTV (get a real HDTV), and that your set can display a true 1080 x 1920 HDTV picture.

P.S. Add a DVD player with upscaling / line doubling, and you'll even get HD quality from your existing software!
  3. PlayTheBass

PlayTheBass aka Mac Daddy

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    If the space and form factor are not an issue for you, by all means go with the CRT. It's a better picture (better color, with truer blacks and better shadow detail, better contrast, fewer artifacts), and is more reliable. Cheaper too, so more money to spend on bass gear!
  4. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Cool, thanks for all the info! It looks like I'm definetely going with a CRT then. I'll make a few trips this weekend to look at some.
  5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I agree with the other guys. If you can get a CRT big enough, and you have the space for it, it is still the best.

We wanted a larger screen, so we went with a rear projection Mitsubishi. Not quite as bright or true as a CRT, but IMHO much better than plasma or LCD.

Plasma and LCD have the big 'wow' factor, but they are still not a mature technology. And they cost a lot more. Plasmas are a lot better than they were even as recent as three years ago, but still have a long way to go. LCD is more 'mature', but it still has a ways to go too.
  6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    We shopped around an decided on an LCD projector. When our current TV dies, that is what we will purchse. I refuse to buy into the hype and replace a perfectly working TV.

7. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I agree with everyone else. CRT still has the sharpest picture hands down. However, in a room with zero external light I'd be very tempted to get a projector...however, since you don't want over 40" I guess that doesn't really fit your needs.

The next TV I get will be widescreen and probably be rear-projection DLP or rear-projection LCD. That's probably what meets all of my needs the best.

brad cook

brad cook
  8. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    It would be tempting to go with some sort of projector, but it's a really small room and as such, I've been told it wouldn't be a good idea... or would it?