Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another head thread...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by haujobb, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Kustom Groove Bass 1200

12 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Yorkville XS800H

12 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    I've narrowed my amp choices down to two amps now, I have decided against the GK 800RB and the Traynor YBA200. My choices now are:

1) Yorkville XS800H
    2) Kustom Groove Bass 1200

Anyone care to cast their votes between these two and share why?

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Why not the YBA? I would say thats my favorite head you listed.

3. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    As much as I love that head, I can't get over the power rating, I'm a very power hungry bassist and it makes me nervous to think of only having 200 watts, even if it is tube. I'm sure that if it had a 300 watt rating or more I wouldn't feel that way...

4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Don't let the power rating decieve you, the head easily gets as loud as any 800 watt solid state head. You can trust me on that one! Plus it gets up to about 1200 watts I'd say when overdriven.

5. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    You might also consider the Carvin B1500.

6. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I think he is looking for an all in one head, not a power+pre rack...

7. Washishimi

Washishimi Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    The B1500 is an all in one head. An pretty amazing from what I've heard of it.

8. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Interesting, just checked the Carvin website. Havn't seen one around... Maybe I should one to try out sometime.

9. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    It's a good thing I still have another month to make my choice because I don't seem to be getting anywhere :(

10. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Go try out all the heads yourself! You choose which one you like the best. Don't rule out that YBA 200 either, it is a great amp if you love tube sound.

11. hondo8671

hondo8671

Apr 22, 2004
    I agree! i had a yba200 and it does get loud but it does not have as much punch as my Kustom groove 1200! this Kustom head thru my yorkville cab THUMPS!!!!! im not saying anything bad about the Traynor yba but it just got to dirty to fast! and i didnt want to change any pre tubes or power tubes. some like the Traynor yba200 sound but it was just not my cup of tea. but in a nutshell this Kustom groove head has alot more clean power! :bassist:

12. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    Clean power is what I'm looking for, that Carvin mentioned earlier seems quite attractive...

13. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I own one. It's a good amp. Jorg Schroeder (the cab maker) owns one too. You might do a search; it's been mentioned here a couple times.

14. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    Once again it boils down to whether I want to risk trying a head unheard - Carvin and Kustom - versus the smaller head that I have heard - Yorkville. I don't have access to either the Carvin or Kustom and very much doubt that I will anytime soon so I'm just going to have to read lots of reviews...

15. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    One of the guys here--Quadzilla?--has a Kustom, and he loves it. Try a search. The Carvin B1500 is relatively new, and not that many people have them yet, but the ones who do seem to like them. Also, there's apparently a new review of the B1500 in Bass Player, but I haven't seen it yet.

16. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Kustom all the way!!! Several TB'ers have this head(Quad, Sutton,.. mine'll be here next week)

This amp is outrageous! Plenty of clean tone. I'll be using 4 ohm Avatar 210 and 410 NEO's.....and that means using all 1200 watts this thing puts out @ 2 ohms.

IMO, there is no better package for the price. Go to you local Kustom dealer, plug in, start playing, and watch that silly grin start to come across your face!! :hyper:

17. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I was in the same boat some months ago and almost bought the Yorkie but then I saw that the Kustom had some clear advantages:

1 - The Kustom only takes up 2U's in a rack vs 3U's for the Yorkie
    2 - The Kustom puts out 50% more power at 2 ohms!!!
    3 - All the stainless on the front looks great along with the very heavy-duty switch gear and bright LED's
    4 - Comes with a pedal with mute and solo (boost) funtions
    5 - Comes with a SUPER-DUTY 8ft (or 10ft?) Neutrik Speakon cable, easily a $50 (or more) cable. The cable is much better than the $50 Monster brand cable that I bought.

The Kustom head just reaks of quality when you look at it and use it. The tone is un-freaken-believable. I've had many heads (SWR, TRace Elliott, Hartke, etc, etc) and the Kustom puts em ALL to shame!

18. +1

19. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    I'm leaning towards the Kustom ATM...

20. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    I'd get the Yorkville myself. Tons of clean headroom. It has a burst of 1200 watts, which is really what bass playing is, bursts of playing as opposed to "continuous" need for power. More features then you'd ever need from any one amp, the best warranty in the business (2 years even if you break it) and on and on.