1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Another "help me choose a multiFX" thread - H9?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Dragonlord, May 20, 2017.

1. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Hello there! I'm in the process of downsizing, I don't use effects too much but I like having the option to use an effect now and then. I have a Verellen Meatsmoke on the way, so I should be set for overdrive, and I'm thinking of adding one more pedal for the occasional chorus, synth, fuzz, octaver etc. A looper would also be nice. Before you suggest Zoom (which I respect and indeed offer great value for money), I don't know if I'm biased but I think I'd like something more high-end, as the rest of my gear is. I'm looking for studio quality sound. I'll try a friend's Zoom B3, but from samples many effects sound a bit harsh. I prefer to get what sounds best, because usually if I go for "value for money" sooner or later I'll start craving for something better so in the long run I tend to pay more, so I prefer to pay for the best from the start. So, I've read a lot of threads to see what's available and I'm leaning towards the Eventide H9. I'm looking for something that is true bypass, relatively small and sounds as good as it gets (for digital). I think it fits the description better than most... It's expensive, but I could swing it if it's the best option. Do you think it fits the bill? Would you suggest something else? Thanks!

2. GMC

GMC

Jan 1, 2006
    Walmer
    A H9 is a great unit, and it's best suited to chorus, delays, reverbs, synths and the like. It's pretty much the best of the breed at the moment.

Dragonlord likes this.
  3. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    The H9 is great, one of my all-time favorite pedals. Definitely a decent Swiss Army Knife plus a lot more. However, I assume you know that it only does one "algorithm" at a time, although some algorithms are in effect multiple effects (like modulated delays, or delayed pitch shifting). For your setup I'm wondering if that's relevant. But otherwise I recommend it wholeheartedly.

Dragonlord likes this.
  4. Dragonlord

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Yes, I know it only does one effect at a time but I think that with the algorithms I'll be ok - I don't think I'll be using it a lot, I'm just starting a new band and I'd like to have different sounds to add some variety. Except for delay, chorus etc it should also do more distorted/fuzzy sounds with the CrushStation or the PitchFuzz, right? There aren't many H9 demos on bass of these kinds of sounds. Does it track well with bass? I play a 5 string so I'd like something that has no problems tracking down to the low B...

5. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    It definitely tracks down to a low B on bass, and most (but not all) algorithms have a dry blend so you can put some low end back in (it's not always necessary). It's probably also worth noting that many of the pitchshifting effects are monophonic.

Dragonlord likes this.
  6. Dragonlord

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Regarding fuzz: I have a Zoom UF-01 which I've kept around because of its great flexibility, but I was hoping I could replace it with the H9 (actually sell it to fund the H9). The PitchFuzz sounds nice, at least on guitar.
    Yeah, I saw the mostly monophonic pitchshifter, not very happy with that but I think I can live with it.

Last edited: May 20, 2017
  7. Dragonlord

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    @tombowlus , I just discovered you H9 review for Bass Gear! So I know you really like the H9, but if anything else might seem also appropriate for what I'm describing, I'm all ears :)

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Still loving the H9, and it continues to impress me with its ability to keep up with or best high-end dedicated pedals. The only real drawback is that it pretty much only does one effect at a time. You could do just about anything with 3-4 of them.

We just got a Zoom B3 in for review, so I am looking forward to digging into it. I've also been playing around with a Kemper Profiling Head, and it has seemingly endless possibilities. The models all sound really, really good, to boot!

Dragonlord likes this.
  9. xroads

xroads

Nov 6, 2012
    I am really impressed by the source audio pedals. Not really multi-fx, but with 2-3 of them you can cover pretty much everything you mentioned.
    For certain sounds (combination of octaver, envelope and delay), the H9 is limited due to only one effect being available.

10. Dragonlord

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    I'm afraid the Zoom B3n won't be at the same quality as the H9... I wouldn't expect it to, given the great price difference. That's what I hear in some samples too, but maybe I am biased. Of course it would be cool if they turn out to be equally good (or almost) but I think that would be too optimistic!
    The Kemper seems really cool, but it's overkill (size-, cost- and feature-wise) for what I'm looking for. So I still think the H9 seems like the best choice. Thanks!

11. azfatboy

azfatboy

May 11, 2016
    I was set on the H9 until I learned that it can really only do one thing at a time. Absolute deal-killer for me. Even with the "algorithms", that is just way too limiting for that kind of money. But it seems you had already made up your mind before starting the thread, so good luck! :)

The Kemper does sound amazing, with a price to match...

Dragonlord likes this.
  12. Dragonlord

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Not really, I've done 2 or 3 days' worth of research so there might be options I've completely missed. I'm just leaning towards the H9 so far. I think the "one thing at a time" will not bother me much, because I never used many effects, so I just want something compact that will give me a variety of good quality effects for occasional use... but if there's anything with the same sound quality that can do more effects at a time without being too bulky or even pricier, I'm all ears!

13. azfatboy

azfatboy

May 11, 2016
    Like I said, it sounds like for your purposes, the H9 might fit the bill, albeit at a significant cost. You say you don't use effects that much. Okay, so maybe you would want (besides the Meatsmoke) maybe one or two, or even 3 other effects, max? If I were in your shoes, I would happily take a few more inches of pedalboard space with the 2 or 3 effects that I actually wanted, and could use whenever and however I wanted. And let's not forget that even 3 regular pedals are still way smaller than that Meatsmoke! For me, that is still "downsizing", but would be a vastly superior solution to a single H9. But that's just me. :)

Dragonlord likes this.
  14. Noylin

Noylin

May 28, 2014
    Cuse
    The H9 is an amazing pedal. I would go straight to the max, it's not worth it to buy individual algos just to get a lower "buy in" price to start. My search didn't turn up anything in the same class and it is one of the best effects purchases I have ever made, if not the best.

The modulation I find kind of average (though better than the Zoom ms60b I used to have), but it gets the job done for me, a very occasional mod user - Mobius is probably best here. It's not that great for synth sounds either - Future Impact is the best here. Obviously those are more focused pedals that do one category of sounds; just noting them for comparison, the H9 isn't as good in those areas. The looper also isn't the most user friendly.

Eventide is top of the heap for delays, reverbs, and pitch stuff - all amazing and worth the price of admission. Plenty of utility stuff (comp, EQ) and dirt/fuzz that is workable to great. IMO you need an expression pedal to get the most out of it - the Moog EP3 is a very good and inexpensive option.

15. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    This is all correct.

Blu bro, tombowlus and Noylin like this.
  16. I am absolutely loving my TC Electronic Nova System! No limits on set up, stompbox or pedal chain (series, parallel or both), amazing quality. Check it out also.

rtav and Dragonlord like this.
  17. Dragonlord

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    That's a very interesting suggestion, thanks! I did some research but couldn't find much info on how it does on bass, at least on TB. Some reviews say it works great and some say so-so. I'm worried by the fact that it's not true bypass, and I don't want to carry a loop pedal too... there are also reports that the pitch effects don't track well low, and it seems like there's no wet/dry blend (but I could be wrong on that). Doesn't seem to have a fuzzy effect, like the H9 does. It's also a bit bigger than I'd like, but seems managable. And I can get a used one for less than a third of the H9's new price...

rtav likes this.
  18. Skybone

Skybone

Jun 20, 2016
    Scotland
    Have you considered the Line6 Helix LT or POD HD500x (with the HD Bass Pack)?

19. Dragonlord

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Yeah, they seem like overkill and much bigger than I want to carry. Maybe something from the M series... but those seem to fall on the "good for the price" category - correct me if I'm wrong, though!

20. Skybone

Skybone

Jun 20, 2016
    Scotland
    I have no experience of the M series pedals, but I have heard very good reviews about them.

The Helix LT is pretty expensive, but it can do a lot for the money, again, it's getting some really good reviews (as is the Helix, Axe FX, Kemper etc.) Overkill? Probably.

I do use a HD500x. Have done for over a year now, and I am very pleased with it. The amp & cab sims are great, as are the effects. The bonus is that I don't have to carry anything other than it and my bass, either use the PA or the power amp in of an available amp. I'll grant you, it isn't light, but it's lighter than most amps. Thomann do a nice sturdy gig bag for them, which is reasonably priced, and because a lot of people are upgrading to Helix, there's a good number of HD's on the second hand market at a good price (even better if they have the original packaging and a gig bag as well!), and possibly cheaper than picking up an H9.

You could always try and track down something like a BOSS GT-10B or GT-6B.

Dragonlord likes this.