1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Another help me choose an amp thread..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by scarified, Apr 13, 2009.

1. I have had a Trace Elliot AH100 since 1989. It started life as a regular AH100 bought from the Bass Centre in Wapping. At the time I played in a band with a guy who worked at TE, and he gutted the amp for me and replaced it with a prototype they made for a big rock star endorsement (the guy rejected it - his loss was my gain). Since then it has been shipped across the pond and converted to US voltage. In all that time, it has been repaired only once. I run it through a Laney 4x10+1x15 with Fane speakers (also from 1989).

I play pop, rock and metal. Slap, pick and fingers. 4 string, 5 string and frettless. All in about equal proportion.

The amp sounds ok, but it's very sterile and not very loud - I can hear myself over a drummer and 2 Marshalls but I need both cabs and I need to play on 10. It's time for a replacement.

I am looking for suggestions based on the following requirements:

* Made in the USA or UK - I want my hard earned dollars to benefit my people (I am a dual citizen). Korean Ampegs and Chinese Ashdowns don't count.
    * Around 500W @ 4 ohms
    * Hybrid tube/ss technology - I like the sound of tubes, but not the 'bother'.
    * The amp must look like it belongs on a 4x10+1x15 stack - so no silly 'lightweight' amps (like Shuttle or Superfly)
    * Price is really not an issue, but I'd like to stay in the $1-$2 per watt range if poss.

My shortlist right now is as follows:

* Ampeg SVT 3 Pro (used)
    * Ashdown ABM EVO II (used)
    * SWR 350x or 550x
    * Trace Elliot AH-500/600
    * Mesa/Boogie M6 Carbine

Is there anything I missed that I should consider ?

Does anyone have any recommendation about what to choose ?

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    M6 Carbine. Hands down ,on your list. that's the one.

3. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    It doesn't have a tube but you should at least take a look at the Carvin B1500. That's got more power than you could ever wish for.

Paul

4. I heard a rumor that Carvin is not making their amps in the USA anymore. Can anyone confirm or deny that ?

5. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    "Carvin's bass amps and cabinets are made in the USA from the highest quality components, and will provide the ultimate in low end night after night".
    Right off the new website.
    The Carbine's are great amps too.

6. Thanks for pointing out Carvin. That new BX500 looks like it's worth a listen.