1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Another Help me Indentify my bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Stinkoman20xx, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    Just picked it up at an estate auction.Guy before me bought an American standard for 525.It plays good and im happy about it but I didnt realize how rough it was sadly before I was able to get to take into better lighting.I no it needs some if the cracks repairs but i figured it was a ok start to go in the right direction. Just wondering if anybody can tell me if its carved or plywood,possible age or maker. Photos are here.http://s873.photobucket.com/albums/ab295/zombiecamp/

2. Violen

Violen Instructor in the Vance/Rabbath Method Banned

Apr 19, 2004
    Kansas City Metro Area
    Endorsing Artist: Conklin Guitars (Basses)
    Can you get us a picture of like, the whole thing?

How much did you pay for it?

The end of the fingerboard doesnt look the same color as the rest of the fingerboard so im going to guess its not ebony. Beyond that, i really like the lines.

3. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    From the one shot of the neck area, I'm gonna guess Tyrolean blockless. The shot of the nails in the ribs tells me it's been the victim of some crude amateur repair. Get it to a proper bass luthier who can give you a cost-of-restoration vs value estimate.

4. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    I will post some more pics later tonight..I only spent a few hundred because it seemed playable to learn on.Then i realized of the repairs and cracks.Is a blockless wonder a good thing?I plan on taking it to the cincinati bass cellar when i get a chance.

5. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    It could a "Tiroler." Blockless? Who can say from here. The guys at the Bass Cellar are wonderful. I highly recommend them for fair prices, timely completion, and fine quality restoration work. I miss the old house, but the new shop is cool. I am a satisfied customer.

6. shadygrove

shadygrove

Feb 14, 2008
    Marysville, WA
    Looks like it's already indented enough to me :ninja:

But seriously, it sounds like you got a good price on what may have potential to be a good bass. There can be a lot of $ range between what it takes to make it playable and a full restoration and only you and your bank balance know how far to take it. If it was mine, i'd be tempted to do just what it takes to make it structurally sound and playable and leave the bumps and bruises.

BTW, Violen, my ebony board looks a lot like that ... kind of grayish on the end grain that hasn't been polished.

7. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    Im not sure but i dont think its ebony looks too glossy .I dont have any money to really to get it fixed up at all so Ill have to play it as is it and let it set for a long while,Im buying my first house hopefuly next week.I was hoping now that it wouldnt be too unrealistic to trade it for a descent sturdy plywood in its current shape to somebody that has the money and or experince to fix it up.