Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

another "help-me-pick-a-bass" thread!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Uncle Amos, Sep 27, 2005.

1. Uncle Amos

Uncle Amos

Sep 3, 2004
    Alright Folks, I need a new bass. :help:

This 3 year old 'el cheapo' Johnson Jazz bass of mine is due for retirement, and I need a replacement! Money isn't really an issue, as I can always work more and save up for it. I will have around $600, and as some other deals come through i will have more Mulla. I would say that my overall price ceiling would have to be around $1000, give or take.

I play mainly rock but also dabble many other styles, so I need a bass that can cover all, or most. I don't worry too much about different neck options, as I've played everything from a Geddy Lee toothpick to a G+L baseball bat comfortably. Being versatile and sounding good doing so is most important to me.

I was thinking that a Fender American Deluxe P would be good as it has the P pickup which is already versatile or at least usable in any situation, and the Humbucker which could be used for slap or punchier tones. Also they look pretty darn good, if I do say so myself.

The only problem, in theory, with that bass is the absence of a preamp bypass switch, and maybe a coil switch for the bridge pup. I don't want my batteries dying in the middle of a song, and I would like more tonal options. I would prefer that if the bass has an onboard preamp, that it also has a bypass switch that I can use if the batteries die. Could this type of bypass switch be installed on the DLX P?

If you check my profile you'll see the other basses I'm GASsing for, but right now versatility is key. This bass will have to hold me until I am older and can afford to buy different basses for different tones.

So, what do you guys recommend?

2. Uncle Amos

Uncle Amos

Sep 3, 2004
    bump. help please?

3. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    Consider a P/J if you're looking for versatility.

Or perhaps something with a serious active setup. My early 80's Rich (see sig) can sound like just about anything with the circuitry it's got in there.

4. Uncle Amos

Uncle Amos

Sep 3, 2004

Yes, I'll buy used, and I prefer 4 strings.

5. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    I'll throw in a vote for the Lakland Skyline 44-01 (4) or 55-01 (5) in your price range. Top quality, great tone and versatility for WELL under 1K.

6. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Look into a Lakland JO or DJ. Plenty of tone possibilities, and top-notch construction. Also, with a passive bass, you don't have to worry about dead batteries. :D

And if you prefer active, you can add a J-retro or get an outboard pre like the Sadowsky or Aguilar.