Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ANOTHER HOW'S THIS LOOK THREAD

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Wademeister63, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    Hope you all aren't too sick of seeing these, I know there have been a lot recently.

As I get closer to having everything to do this bass, I've been looking at designs and designing to the point where it seems like everything looks goofy to me. I'd like to get a little feedback from you folks again. I like what Teh Fleaz0rz has done with his design, but I really want to go with my own. Besides, I really like the looks of the topwood I have and want to see a lot of it...

So take a look and lemme know what you think mmkay?

[​IMG]

2. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I like it.

Since you are asking for opinions...The only thing I really don't like is the headstock. It reminds me of too many other brands.

Personally, I would try shaping the top of the upper horn (from the dip on top out) down a 1/4 of the way on the horns end and slimming up the top rear setion just a bit as well.

3. Since you like the wood, why chop a big chunk out of the ass of the body? I would put most of it back and just make that cut an accent ala Ellie Erickson. Then you get the visual balance back.

4. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    well...
    the headstock does look a little generic, but I'm having a helluva time with my own headstock shape so I'm not going to complain about generic. :D
    But it really doesn't match the body well at all. The headstock is nicely curved with very natural feeling points, while the body feels more forced in it's shaping.

just my thoughts. :bassist:

5. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    Thanks for the input, good points all around. I'll keep messing around with it. Maybe I need to step away a while until I regain a more normal perspective. ;)

6. How about something a little more sleek. The body looks a bit bulky.

Attached Files:

7. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I really like that last one! Heck, I might build it!:p

However I tend to be drawn towards more radical body designs. I still don't like the headstock, sorry.

8. hmmm...I think it's pretty retro-80's looking...(which is not necessarily a bad thing)...I like it...

try a 4 in-line headstock or a 3-in-1...you should still be in brain-storm mode and thinking outside of the box.

I'm with Hambone on putting a little back into the heel of the body. Perhaps a zig-zaggy contour.

Don't throw out anything you think of just yet.
    and don't focus too much on any one thing, either.

Keep going, LOOKING GOOD!

9. teacherguy

teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    The sleeker body style is better, I agree that it looks unbalanced (the weight is pushed a bit forward towards the neck visually), but I have to say it's not doing anything for me.
    That's not saying much since I find myself often being impressed with many basses once their built rather than just looking at the diagrams (case in point - Lecompte).
    Keep us posted with any progress or refinements!

Jon

10. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I like version 2 better as well, but noticed that your frets aren't parallel, and the pickups are crooked...

11. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    +1

Looks like I was fallin asleep and couldn't even get the frets to stand up straight!

Has anyone else found multiscale designs more challenging than parallel ones? I had some decent sketches at one time, or so I thought. Then I tried making the stuff work with a 33/34 scale and everything went out the window. I agree about the headstock thing too. Funny thing though, I worked on the body for a good while then just threw something on for a headstock. Now I like the headstock better than body!

12. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I think the headstock is a cross between Moll and Yamaha, but not exactly the same as either. What kind of CAD program are you using? Try using the spline setting for cool curves...:)

13. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    I'm using MasterCAM and mostly dynamic tangent arcs. I've messed with all 4 kinds of splines, but I haven't found a way to move nodes around after the spline is drawn. I don't think Mastercam is really geared toward sketching although it will get by. The great thing is I can create all my toolpaths right there when I get something I like =)

14. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    I like your new design better, much sleeker.

15. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    Wolak did a nice job on it =).

After seeing this one for a week or two now though, I probably will head in another direction. I don't think I'd get tired of seeing a truly good design after a couple weeks. I agree with the feeling of it being 80's looking and forced.

16. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    Back around to this one...

I got a couple programs to mess around with this one and ended up learning some cool stuff! I think I'm close with this one that I reworked from the original 9 month old drawing.

[​IMG]

The headstock might need tweaking though, I'm kind of on the fence about this one. Might grow on me or I might grow to hate it. Man, the way you chop the end off that headstock makes ALL the difference... Maybe drag the D and G tuners a bit closer to the nut, and the outside of the headstock along with them? I do like the crazy looking tuner angles and I'm pretty set on going 2+2 with this one.

Hopefully I can get this one ironed out soon, I've got everything except the knobs and TruOil and itching to get going on it.

17. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    I like the headstock!

18. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    That looks a little like one of my designs

19. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    I like the new one...
    why not angle your through-body holes though? and are those little dots the bridge? *confused*

I like it a lot, but it's a radical departure from your first design. Did you just decide to trash that one completely?
    I like how the headstock mirrors the body horns.

20. teacherguy

teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    I like this one! The headstock looks compact but it does compliment the body very well, like was said previously!

Jon